BB reef.

saveafish

I was wondering what some options are on placing things on a BB reef. I was thinking a sheet of acrylic, Painted on the bottom side down. I just dont want to look at wood or a sump from the top looking down. Any IDEAS?

Starboard or any other type of HDPE are good options, they'll help absorb any shock from falling objects and hide the stand underneath. You could always just paint the bottom also to hide the stand, but you'll have bare glass waiting for rocks to land on. You'll probably get more answers in the DIY forum.

Starboard kind of scares me. You know detritus will make it's way under that. I guess it's just like everything else though, if you don't keep it clean, it will fester. GL.

THere is a link on here show me your Bare Bottoms or something like that. I am not a fan of the BB look, but one guy did something really cool. He took a type of Tile grout and paved the bottom of the tank with it. The stuff was very safe and he gave the name of it. It is available in different colours too, from white through brown, grey and black. It would be worth looking the thread up, it was very inexpensive also. I suppose you could grade it and add a few shells etc for a natural look.

Last edited:
I asked this recently, and people mentioned that acrylic won't absorb shock so it's not a good idea. I used white HDPE, and I'm quite happy with it. Last week my leather coral dropped some branches and they decided to grow on the bottom -- now there's something you can't do with a sandbed! I also plan to frag some GSP and zoas and see if they like growing on the HDPE sheets. Should look pretty neat if a bunch of different corals take hold and grow all over the bottom of the tank :)

Back