Be careful when buying used EM products!

pecan2phat

So I just wanted to let my fellow reefers know that when you buy used (and we all do from time to time) Ecotech Marine products that currently, there is NO WARRANTY whether you have the buyer's receipt or whether it's within the 12 month period from manufacture date.
This did not use to be the case years ago, I've had them repair replace repurchased items as long as it was within the 12 month warranty period and sometimes past.
Just went through email convo today with service rep at EM about a Radion that I bought with a manufacture date of 10/10/17. Basically I told them I was the 2nd owner because you can never tell if the original purchaser had ever registered the product. Service Rep replied that there is no warranty service for non original purchasers despite the product having a manufacture date within 12 months. Asked whether it would make a difference if I obtained the BRS receipt from the original purchaser, he said nope but you can have the light serviced at your cost for parts and shipping.
Based on this experience going forward, I would not even buy a "new, never used, sealed, fell off the back of a truck" EM product in the future, just go retail from an authorized reseller or buy used knowing the facts.

Nothing new, That is pretty normal in the business world. Most warranties are non transferable and require the original purchase receipt. Many require the item to be sold by a authorized retailer for any type of warranty coverage as well.

Unless the warranty states that it IS transferable it's most likely not.

Yup.

Most warranties aren't transferable.

Go and get the receipt if you can, and if it doesn't have a name/number on it try again!

Weird thing is that I've gotten warranty service multiple times before, as long as it was within 12 months of manufacture date if there was no purchase receipt available.
Guess they may have updated or changed their policy, oh well spilled milk and all.

I asked whether obtaining the purchase receipt would change the scenario and the Service Rep said no.

Because you already told him you are second owner.. duh...

Get the original receipt and don't say you are the 2nd owner this time..

and yes its quite common for warranties to not transfer ..

See, I kind of understand that but you have to fill out a warranty form with serial number, name address etc. So what happens when they see the PDF receipt showing a different name, address & state?

See, I kind of understand that but you have to fill out a warranty form with serial number, name address etc. So what happens when they see the PDF receipt showing a different name, address & state?

Thats why I said try to get it.

You'll see whats on the receipt then. I mean, obviously if you walk into a store the receipt is a little different.

Obviously I'm not going to coach you into committing fraud, but when the system is designed to screw you at every chance, there is a little gaming of the systems that can be done to square it off.

Because you already told him you are second owner.. duh...

Get the original receipt and don't say you are the 2nd owner this time..

and yes its quite common for warranties to not transfer ..
This is just wrong

It's a BRS online receipt so the "Sold To" and "Ship To" is very clear.
My intention was not in how to defraud EM but rather a shout out to anyone thinking that warranty service is implied if your within the 12 month period from manufacture date.
You see quite often when someone post in the FS section a new, like new or almost new EM product and potential buyers asking the OP if they have the purchase receipt.

Life lesson #85694
Read the fine print..

Companies have choices.. So do consumers..
We all decide whats important to us..

EM use to go off the born on date and it didnt matter how many owned it. If the date was good so they stood behind it. It was little perks like that, that made the high dollars worth while. Now with Apex, gyro, Jebao. Being cheaper than them, they have to take other practice that is the norm with warranty work. Though doing that makes them less attractive when buying. To add they are designing catastrophic failure into the pumps now. Don't believe me, look at the wet side blowing out. Rusting out about 1 yrs after the warranty. Good pump, YES worth the money, some cases YES. Going down hill....YESSSS

I don't even want their products at any price ... As a business owner, I prefer to not give my $ to companies that use 'MAP' pricing.

EM use to go off the born on date and it didnt matter how many owned it. If the date was good so they stood behind it. It was little perks like that, that made the high dollars worth while. Now with Apex, gyro, Jebao. Being cheaper than them, they have to take other practice that is the norm with warranty work. Though doing that makes them less attractive when buying. To add they are designing catastrophic failure into the pumps now. Don't believe me, look at the wet side blowing out. Rusting out about 1 yrs after the warranty. Good pump, YES worth the money, some cases YES. Going down hill....YESSSS

this right here

pecan2phat-

If you send the light in we may be able to help you without any charges. We provided you our standard warranty language but we always try to help the customer should you send it in. We would rather under-promise and over-deliver.

Fwiw, the issue you are having could be nothing more than a bug in the light requiring a firmware reset or it could be as a result of water damage from the previous owner. No way to know without sending it in or trying to reset on your own.

If you have any other questions please reach back in to us directly through our customer service channels. I personally thank you for your long term support.

pecan2phat-

If you send the light in we may be able to help you without any charges. We provided you our standard warranty language but we always try to help the customer should you send it in. We would rather under-promise and over-deliver.

Fwiw, the issue you are having could be nothing more than a bug in the light requiring a firmware reset or it could be as a result of water damage from the previous owner. No way to know without sending it in or trying to reset on your own.

If you have any other questions please reach back in to us directly through our customer service channels. I personally thank you for your long term support.

Great response Tim! Ecotech has always backed their products with quality support and service and I commend you for chiming in and getting involved. Hopefully you guys can get this customer squared away.

:beer:

Back