Bean Animal question

JurisHP

I just upgraded my tank to include bean animal / ghost overflow setup. The overflow is quite noisy.... do I adjust the knob that's connected to the main drain in the sump to control that? If not, how do I control the water level in the overflow box?

I just upgraded my tank to include bean animal / ghost overflow setup. The overflow is quite noisy.... do I adjust the knob that's connected to the main drain in the sump to control that? If not, how do I control the water level in the overflow box?

Yes, close the valve on the main drain, slowly and allow for it to settle.

In a word yes, you need a level in the overflow above the primary and into the secondary. Just not into the edrain. Here's a pic
5aff509d4a91c754bfa2a6048a6161e8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So close the main valve that has the knob all the way, and slowly open it until I don't hear the gurgling sound coming from the ghost overflow?

So close the main valve that has the knob all the way, and slowly open it until I don't hear the gurgling sound coming from the ghost overflow?

Not a bad way to do it. I guess I'd just suggest you understand where the level "œshould be"
in the overflow as well. This will help with your fine tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I set mine by starting with the valve open, then close it slowly until the level rises just enough to just trickle a little down the secondary drain. Anything more than a trickle, then open it just a little. It might take a few adjustments, and every time you do, let it sit for a few minutes. Eventually, with just a tiny bit of water down the secondary drain it should be silent, and self regulate to a constant level, keeping your salinity stable (if you're using an ATO).
A screen over the primary drain should keep out any intruders (snails, other inverts), but don't screen either of the other two drains.
If the level starts to drop, it could mean your return pump needs cleaning.
Periodically, like during a sump cleaning, fully open and shut the valve a few times to knock off any accumulated gunk. The valve can freeze up if it's not worked open/closed once in a while. While you're at it, use a pipe brush to help keep things free flowing.

I have the standard three pipes fed from my weir overflow box and down to my sump. Can I plumb the three pipes into a BashSea Sump? It has three fittings for down pipes, but the bean pipes would need to be turned from where the head straight down to the sump to the three sump fittings.

Here is a link to the sump in question:

https://shopdynamictank.com/collections/sumps/products/bashsea-signature-series-sump-ss-36-36-x-15?variant=39450121863325
That diagram is for reference only. You can plumb as you need.
As you can see from my pic, the sump inlets are off set and under the tank. Sorry I don't have a finished pic, but this works fine. Just follow the Bean in principal.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25449434&postcount=32

Out of Spec

Out of Spec

According to the folks I had spoken to during my build, the putting of fittings and angles to the down pipes is not a good idea as it negatively affects the flow and dynamics. So, while you could physically plumb it as you show, I don't know that that is correct.
:hmm3:

According to the folks I had spoken to during my build, the putting of fittings and angles to the down pipes is not a good idea as it negatively affects the flow and dynamics. So, while you could physically plumb it as you show, I don't know that that is correct.
:hmm3:
Well mine has been working flawlessly without as much as a minor adjustment
since install. It's been well over 3 years.
So take what you want from this.

Also many people have tanks running a bean animal with sumps in other rooms or even in the basement. I'm sure those aren't straight drops.

Time in

Time in

That's fine. I have been running it with the pipes straight down as per the bean animal original specification for over 5 years.

Also, how do you keep two of the pipes at about 1" below the surface affect. That ties in with the amount of back pressure the pipes experience.

Look at the diagram, the primary drain has a gate valve to control flow, while the secondary is wide open. As long as the two are below a MINIMUM of 1" you'll be fine. Mine are 4 " below the water surface.

Back