BEFORE you buy a coral...

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
Step one: Get your water to the following parameters: alkalinity 8.3, calcium 420, magnesium 1300, salinity 1.024 to 1.026 and STEADY, day to night: if you don't have an ATO, get one. If you don't have tests and supplements to maintain these things, get them.

Step two: while looking at corals, decide whether the thing has a stony skeleton or not. If not, it's a softie. If yes, it's a stony. If it's a stony, you're going to have to feed it calcium once it wakes up and starts eating. If it's a zoa, you're going to need to put it in an observation tank to see whether nudibranch (pest) eggs hatch---they will survive a dip that kills the adult pest. Softies only need the calcium refresher that comes in water changes. Hint: buy your corals from places that don't pipe water from fish tanks into the coral tanks---this keeps fish pests from hitchhiking in. But if you don't take that precaution, build your reef for 12 weeks from last coral addition before putting a fish in, and you've passed the 72 day fallow period anyway, with never a fish involved. You CAN have inverts, shrimp, etc, no problem. Same rule applies.

Suggestions for species for beginners: zoas, button palys, leathers, mushrooms in the softie realm. In stony, go for hammer, candycane, acans.

Step three: dip the coral, whether stony or softie. This kills coral pests. If softie---that observation period is a must. Use a magnifying glass and strong light.

Step four: put new coral on the bottom of your tank and raise it upward day by day until you hit a point the coral is happiest. That's where it belongs. When you find that spot, putty or glue it in place to prevent wobbles: corals hate to wobble.

Coral that lands in nice water will open up and extend fully, but it takes time. They may expel water, shriveling, and suck it in again to expand to handle a slight water change, but if they expel water and stay that way, they're not happy---test the water. Because of this trick, they are hardier about bad water than fish are---but don't test their endurance. Fix it.

Hint: if you built your reef up before getting fish, dipping all corals, you would not have ich problems---until you start with fish. By that time, you should be expert enough in water management that dealing with fish is a snap. Corals tell you hour to hour how happy they are. Fish don't: they just tough it out until they turn up dead. Hardy corals are in fact EASIER than fish for starters: they make you learn the things that will keep your fish healthy, and complain every time you get it wrong. Go either softie or lps stony. Stay away from sps stony while learning.

Last edited:
Well done once again. I would say also research the coral you want, learning about their aggression and maybe the their max size. Softies can get big.

Great thread but zoos are toxic and the water at those particular parMeters I disagree with. This table is a good bit of info.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 0
Just you should shoot for those number directly instead of giving a range and shoot for what does well for your tank. I keep my alk at 10.9 and my tank does very well. I think finding what your tank responds to in the accepted range is a better suggestion then just those numbers. My calcium is always 440-450 my alk Ranges in the 10.2-10.9. Sal 1.026 and mag 1350.

Just you should shoot for those number directly instead of giving a range and shoot for what does well for your tank. I keep my alk at 10.9 and my tank does very well. I think finding what your tank responds to in the accepted range is a better suggestion then just those numbers. My calcium is always 440-450 my alk Ranges in the 10.2-10.9. Sal 1.026 and mag 1350.

I agree..however folks who are just starting to contemplate corals (and the stability that goes along with it) should have starting numbers to shoot for..and keep stable until they can gain some experience with their corals in the tank and start the husbandry part of the hobby that may mean adjusting the parameters.

It doesn't mean what Sk8r has provided are not perfectly acceptable given those facts.

I'm getting close to adding a "you have to try to kill coral" like a mushroom in my biocube.

Tank has consistently been at 1.026, 9-10 dKh, 77 degrees, and nitrates at around 3ppm (less, as I did what amounts to a 25% water change today).

Plan is, get a mushroom and a zoanthid or ricordia...something that you almost have to try to kill, and go from there. I have a pair of clowns that members here have said need another 14 days in QT yet...

Clowns, maybe a tailspot blenny, 4-5 corals, and that's it.

3 is perfectly acceptable. You don't need your water to be sterile. Shrooms are a great starting coral, so are zoos.

I've always told people that high quality test kits come before coral...because it's not about keeping coral alive ,it's about keeping water stable.

Beginning tanks very often come in with very low alk---guaranteed to annoy both fish and corals. Some things like conditions adjusted more precisely. What I give above is kind of middle-of-the-road, from which you can tweak it appropriately for what you keep. The main thing for starters is not to have anything die, and to try not to give yourself special problems, like buying one softie and one stony...there ARE mixed tanks, but when your first job is just trying to keep things happy and how to tell by looking whether they're happy, ---getting corals that don't like each other much can confuse the issue.

I find tanks are rather like snowflakes---every setup is a tiny bit different in how it responds and what seems happiest. I started out to do sps in my last tank and lps took off and filled the tank. Rather than fight success, go with it, if this happens. Has to do with flow, lighting, a lot of variables.

This has sparked a question I've been thinking about for awhile. Let's say you cycle your tank with all dry rock and dry sand as I am in the process of doing. Now let's say you decide to stock with corals before adding any fish. Would there be an impact and bacteria since there is no fish producing waste or that your feeding? Or would the feeding of corals once or twice a week provide enough food to keep a healthy bacteria colony?

Back