Begginer equipment check-list!

DishonestAbe

Hi everyone,
I apologize in advanced if this is in the wrong section.

I've been reading quite a bit about saltwater reef keeping (like everyone else has had to do) and the countless hours of reading has been great.

I have a list of some equipment I have looked at for my 29 gallon Id like to start (possibly with a 20 gallon sump?) and I was wondering if y'all more experienced hobbyist could check it out.

Tank is a standard 29 gallon
- AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer (A cheaper option would be nice)
- Eheim Jager Aquarium Heater 25W (x2)
- Refractometer
- API Saltwater Test Kit
- 30" Glass Canopy

For lighting I have narrowed it down to:

T5 Quad 30" Timer Aquarium Light Marine Coral Reef Cichlid LED Fan HO 96W 75 cm
http://m.ebay.com/itm/291152336265?_mwBanner=1

MH 30" Metal Halide T5 Aquarium Light Reef Marine Coral 346W LED Bulb 250W Lamp
http://m.ebay.com/itm/291194934916?...3D300586241741&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

Thanks for whatever input you may be able to give!

API will last you through your cycle as you will be testing almost everyday or every other day. After that you need to ditch them as they are not accurate at all. Red Sea, Hanna, and Salifert are the best test kits out right now, IMO. You might be able to grab some things from a local reefer that is getting out hobby. Might be used but you can find some quality equipment (craigslist). For as skimmer wise, IMO that's one piece of equipment that you do not want to go cheap on. You have to pay good money for good quality. Welcome and Happy Reefing!

Id recommend getting an RODI unit. There are affordable options out there. You don't have to break the bank.

Also Id invest in a qt setup. Just a 10-20G Tank, heater, and something to move water around. A hob skimmer, airstones etc.

You'll obviously need some sort of return pump if you have a sump.

Unless you have a chiller in mind I would go with the T-5, that 250 MH will add a lot of heat to the water in a 29gal tank. Sometimes you can control the heat with evaporative cooling, a simple fan blowing across the surface of your sump, but I don't think that will work in this situation.
Also you didnt mention where you ultimately intend the tank to go, fish only, FOWLR, softies, LPS, SPS or a mixed reef, depending on what your long term goals are will make a difference in what lighting system would be best.

Ditch the glass canopy, it blocks light, holds in heat(OK during the winter) but most importantly it will hinder gas exchange at the waters surface. If your worried about jumping fish then a DIY screen top is easy enough to make.

You should also look into an RO/DI unit, this is definately a very important component to a successful tank.

Id recommend getting an RODI unit. There are affordable options out there. You don't have to break the bank.

Also Id invest in a qt setup. Just a 10-20G Tank, heater, and something to move water around. A hob skimmer, airstones etc.

You'll obviously need some sort of return pump if you have a sump.

I have a 56 gallon set up and I buy RO water from a filtered water store. I get about 5 gallons a week. It's easy with a tank my size and it's an option, but do one or the other. Do not start off with tap water. It will drive you crazy later.

If you are doing HOB skimmer, I have the Aquamaxx-1 HOB and I love it. I did have to shave down a bit of my tank lip to get it to fit, so check your lip width first. There are specs on Marine Depot's website.

Good luck. My first tank was a 29. I had a lot of fun with that one.

If you have room for a sump, I would highly recommend it. Definitely makes it easier to install equipment and leaves much more room for rocks/coral/fish!

I kept it off my equipment list for 3 months, finally decided to take the dive and got a tunze 3152 Osmolator ATO. I should have listened to everyone when I started. Even over the last 2 days, I no longer have to topoff the water daily, and with having a smaller nano tank (21 gallons) I dont have to worry about fluxuations in salinity. Which is what am fairly certain killed my Valentini Puffer :(.

for what we invest, the $99 ATO is beyond worth it.

Thank you for all the replies! Everyone's input really helps out a ton!

I forgot to mention what kind of tank I would like to be keeping which is my mistake; I would like to have a reef tank, I have a list of what I'd like to keep, I don't want them all but they're what I'm looking at potentially keeping.

Fish:
Ocellaris Clownfish
Kaudern's Cardinalfish

Corals:
Indo purple tip acropora
Trumpet coral (caulastrea curvata)
Red candy cap coral (Montipora capricornis)
Duncanoprammia Axifuga
Giant green polyp Duncan
Silver branch pumping Xenia
Glove polyp coral

Those were all corals I found at Liveaquaria which I thought would be nice to consider keeping at least a few of.

Hopefully I win my ebay auction and get a Remora but if I can't I'll definitely check out that Aquamaxx. I didn't event think of getting an ATO but I definitely will get one now! Is the model mentioned (3152 Osmolator ATO) good for a 29 gallon?

And lastly, I looked for test kits for Red Sea and Salifert and it seems they only sell tests for each individual substance tested rather than having a bunch in 1 box? Would I need to buy multiple different tests then?

Again thanks!

Yes, the Tunze 3152 is perfect. There are others that appear cheaper, but they don't come with a pump, so you need to add that. The tunze is turnkey, you'll love it.

Don't want to derail the thread but it is one very hotly contested area with lots of educated opinions from both sides. I did have them in my 210, I do NOT currently have one in my 30gal.

Back