Being Nostalgic, tell us about your first salt aquarium.

My first saltwater tank/reef. Ah, I remember it like yesterday! It was 1993, (Back before the internet!) went to a little LFS store called "Inland Marine" and bought a 75 gal Oceanic with stand. Had a CPR "Bak Pak" HOB skimmer and four NO Fl bulbs. Filled it with 60lbs of Live rock from fuji and had Leathers, Bubble coral and a Blasto. I later added a sump and one of those HOB overflow disasters. Took the whole thing down years later after having my second house built and had Brad at, back then, "Tropics" drill the bottom and i installed a internal spillway. I later, in 96, put the sump in the basement and expanded the sump to a 55 gal. Built a custom stand out of oak for it, built custom lighting for it with six florescent bulbs and had them on individual timers set to mimic the rising and setting of the sun. Had a wave maker on it as well and was able to keep a Potter's Angel alive over 5 years in it. If it wasn't for the guys and girls at my LFS's back then, i wouldn't be in the hobby today! To all of them, Thank You for your help and knowledge! Man, time flies when your reefing!

It was back in '90 or '91.....30G with undergravel and an Eheim cannister. Single NO fluorescent. I cycled it with 3 blue damsels. Crushed coral substrate with dead coral skeletons for decoration. I had 2 Clarkii clowns for about 2 years. Had a yellow tang for awhile and even had an orbic batfish until he just got too big! I tried to keep a condylactis anemone in it but that didn't last long. My but we've come a long way.

I had forgotten about Inland Marine. I used to buy stuff from him when he was still out of his basement out in St. Peters. That was a long time ago. he did have cool stuff though and back then, it was almost always very healthy too.

Back