Berghia Nudibranch

ewhite

I would like to hear some opinions on using the Berghia Nudibranch to control aptasia. I am going broke trying things like peppermint shrimp, Copper Banded Butterfly and Joes Juice. Does anyone local carry the Berghia? Thanks.

Nope. You're best best is to kalk inject them little by little. I ended up replacing all my live rock to finally get rid of them. They are very difficult to maintain and you need several of them per gallon to be effective, with little to no flow while you are trying to treat with them. I think they are an absolute waste of time and money, and a person needs to just dig in and get them one by one if you reallly want them gone.

I had hundreds if not thousands of aptasia but I got 7 peppermint shrimp and they took care of all of them within a month. You will need lots of hiding placing and the more shrimp you get the better. I ordered mine online and got all of them for very cheap.

Do the shrimp you get not eat them?

We had lots of luch with the berghia nudibranch. We caught the aptasia problem fairly early on, bought three for our tank (120g) and the aptasia was destroyed. You could see that the berghia had made a dent overnight! Within a few days the aptasia had been taken care of.

The Peppermint shrimp and the Copper Banded Butterfly will not eat them. The Joes Juice kills the ones you can see but they are still multiplying pretty rapidly. To me it seems like the Joes Juice is more of a band aid than a solution.

Back