Best 250w DE bulb for color?

RRaider

I want to try a MH over my 29g tank instead of the overdriven T5's. So I'd like opinions on the best DE bulb for color.

i run a 20K XM DE over my 25G solana works great awesome coverage i wanted 20 k cuz i dont run acitinics not enough room and hanging the pendant over the tank looks clean and simple.

sps are happy and i have some pretty nice colors

I have been running Phoenix 14k's for about 2 years and have been super happy with both growth and coloring. I just switched today to the EVC 20k's. So far I am pretty happy with them, all the colors seem to pop a little more.

I'm currently running a 400 watt radium SE over my sps dominated tank but achieved the best colors from my corals when I was running a 250 watt 14k phoenix DE bulb. I've been running the Radium now for about 9 months and I am seriously considering switching back to the 14k. The only thing is that my growth is much better with the 400 watter. For the price I don't think you can go wrong with the phoenix 14k.

Are you not getting the results that you want with the T5's? It seems like everyone that uses T5's swears by them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15507990#post15507990 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nanoguy
I'm currently running a 400 watt radium SE over my sps dominated tank but achieved the best colors from my corals when I was running a 250 watt 14k phoenix DE bulb. I've been running the Radium now for about 9 months and I am seriously considering switching back to the 14k. The only thing is that my growth is much better with the 400 watter. For the price I don't think you can go wrong with the phoenix 14k.

Are you not getting the results that you want with the T5's? It seems like everyone that uses T5's swears by them.

I like them, I just decided I want to give halides a try so I can decide which I like best based on experience. That, and I think my overdriven T5's are to blame for all of my corals being really light. I shortened my lighting period with the T5's to 4-5 hours and I'm already seeing a difference. I bought new ho ballasts and a mh setup. I'm going to run the mh for a while and i'll probably switch to the non-overdriven T5's at some point to test them as well.

I have heard ushio 20k's are nice. I have only seen ushio 14k's in action and love the look and I must say if the 14k is nice the 20k must be even better :p

Back