BEST DIY LED fixture ever?

Hey there again! While i am still gearing up to actually get a tank (and therefore NOT a "tank authority") I can say from my experiences a thing or two about metals and drives.

It seems that you just finished polishing your aluminum heat-sinks, correct? Uh, why did you do that? I ask, because 'less-than' minutes after doing so, oxygen will react with the aluminum to corrode it. This is the aluminum version of 'rust', though it is called Aluminum Oxide. One of the hardest substances that is man-made. They then make grinding wheels out of it, to grind steel and other metals away.

If you want 'shiny', then the only way to keep it that way is to protect the surface with clear-coat or wax. The problem with coating the surface of a heat-sink is that the coating is a miniscule layer of 'insulation' and it actually does retard the heat dissipation ability somewhat. To what extent is dictated by your particular application, but I'm just letting you know what's going on there.

It is an enclosed cabinet, therefore allow the components to work at their optimum efficiency. Just my humble suggestion.

On another note, regarding the mechanical drive for a traversing lighting device, I wouldn't want to attempt that.

Maybe advances have been made that I am not aware of. But I have not yet seen a reef tank that did not have 'humidity' above nor salt residue around it. To one degree or another.

Both humidity AND salt are detrimental to nearly ANY drive in existence. Corrosion will form, and so will salt crystals. For nearly any metal, that salt will enhance corrosion, and for nearly any composite those salt crystals will form/create a "granular medium" similar to lapping compound that WILL increase your tolerances AND load on your drive.

Short version, things will wear out, and in the process make other components work harder increasing their load therefore helping wear out faster. It is specifically this reasoning why I was impressed with the bank of LED's and was thinking about angular mounting with PLC controls. There are so many capabilities with such, that not only sunrise and sunset can be imitated, but also moonrise and moonset AND the phases of the moon. If one were anal enough or OCD maxxed, then they could program in 'weather variables' as well.

The limits are only at the end of ones ability to bring to fruition their imagination through infrastructure and prowess.

How far do you want to go? :reading:

Man, I wish!!

I don't even think I have had a chance to work on it since my last update... I have been smashed with work and travel recently. I hope to find a few days to work on it in the near-term, but probably it will be mid-may before I can really solidly get back into it (much to the dismay of my wife since it is still on my dining room table!!!).

Sean, no I didn't polish the heat sinks, just cleaned them with isopropyl and used thermal paste.

Nice job Chad!

Nice job Chad!

Man, I wish!!....(much to the dismay of my wife since it is still on my dining room table!!!).

My Wife saw me browsing this thread and said "I wonder how his Wife feels about that being on the table?" :lol:

If I may ask, where did you get your LCD/button setup? Also, do you plan on sharing your code?

Over the top project Chad. Thanks for sharing!

LOL, my wife doesn't like it on the table... and it's still there (and accumulating mail)!!

I have been absolutely smashed with work (although the end is in sight, just a couple more weeks). I haven't had a chance to work on this at all since the last update. I do see it every day and am longing to work on it, though :(

Joe, my buttons are just plain old square spring push buttons that I purchased from mouser. They are each wired independently to ond of the digital pins on the arduino. The GLCD, I purchased from Ebay (since I had a hard time finding blue elsewhere)... That one was a bit more of an adventure to find a datasheet and pin arrangment that would work since it didn't come with any supporting documentation.

I don't mind sharing my code, but I am not sure how useful it will end up being... Unless the hardware is exactly the same, the software will be different. Happy to give advise, though!

Last edited:
wow, if i could see better... after powering up my setup, I'd redo it a little less patchwork. But it works for me!

Nice Build!

Checking in

Checking in

it has been a while, have you found the time to hang it on your tank? could we get a FTS with the lights?

Bump

Bump

Would love to see some pics of this hanging over the tank. maybe a video of it running through some of the features.

A truly killer build, can't wait to see it.

This looks like a nice build. I did see he has been on RC on 3/2. I sent him a message asking for a status update.

I don't see him updating anytime soon or ever again. I did see he got on after I messaged him last, but he never responded. The last time he was online was 3/5.

Back