BEST DIY LED fixture ever?

Wow, so it's been a while, huh? Sorry about that!

So a lot has happened personally (move) that put my project on the shelf for a while (like a year now)... But I'm getting back into it again and pulled everything out of the moving box and set it all up again. I'm going to get this guy finished up.

I found, however, that I am having a heck of a time with my DIY drivers... they are fairly touchy and I keep burning parts out, so I am going to ditch them and I went ahead and ordered a bunch of commercial 1A constant current drivers to swap over to (I went with buckpucks). Hopefully those will be here in a couple of days and I can get this thing over my tank.

By the way, with my move I got a great new space for the tank so it will look nice when I get the LED fixture hanging!

For some picture satisfaction, here is the tank (waiting for the lighting)
65886_4163906822827_1078929580_n.jpg

And here is the sump cabinet (8'x8'x2')
262696_4026175339626_1041864447_n.jpg

And the frag / sump.
75584_4042321623273_759972593_n.jpg

Looking at your fixture design it is really nicely executed. I do not think you are getting the maximum out of your heat sinks however. All of the fins are on the interior and with your fan positions It looks like you will not get good flow down the interiors of those heatsink bars. In addition it looks like a lot of overkill. You could saw them in half, expose the fins and mount the LED's on the sided inbetween the slots. This would expose all of the fins and probably work better.

A thought,
Mark

( I have those same extrusions and using then as halves without an enclosure they maintain a safe temperature without fans.)

I want to see this up and running and to know how well its operating. I would really love to build one of these myself. Great build

Back