best goby shrimp pair

bigworm175

I am starting a rimless 10 gallon and I want a goby shrimp pair. It needs to be small due to the size and it'll have an open top so I need a goby that isn't likely to carpet surf. Any suggestions:confused:?

yasha's are sweet! most gobies are risky when it comes to jumping. a screen cover will give you the piece of mind you might want if considering gobies.

My wheeler has never attempted to jump from what I've seen, but he also doesn't swim above the middle line of the tank either. I have my tank covered, but he doesn't seem to go near the top of the tank at all. Even is there's food, he just waits for it to come down

i have a yellow watchman goby with a japanese pistol, most people cant get this combo because japanese pistols normally dont form the relationship but i guess i got lucky. i think the goby really depends on the looks of your tank. i like to have opposite colors like if you have a lot of yellow corals, dont go with a yellow goby and viseversa for other fish. personally, i think the yashia goby is the coolest, but i love the really yellow blue dotted YWG's also and they clean the sand. mine has never tried jumping

The tank is rimless and I don't want to put anything covering it because I want it to look really clean and modern. The yashias are awesome too. I'm just worried about jumpig because the tank will be small. Thanks for the replies. Anyone have specific experience with them in a 10 gallon?

most gobies will be a risk with rimless tanks. You should invest in a cover that you can remove when you want to (for display purposes) and keep the cover on at night (when most fish jump).

Good luck.

agreed with inthec,but i think you would need to cover it the first month of having the fish 24/7 and once its really happy and settled with its burrow, than switch to only nights. if you see it sleeps in its burrow, i dont think you would need a cover at all, but if u ever see him sleeping out of it, or is being stressed by something, get the cover back on. some pistols take a while to get a strong relationship with gobies, and every once in a while can kick them out of the burrow and even do that "clicking" thing at them wich freaks out the goby and causes him to make the jump. <- thats only normally when the goby is the near the same size as the pistol, if the goby is much bigger its normally the opposite

Will egg create do the job or is a little goby going to have a good change of making it through? I'm not going to put a cover on permanently but I love the goby-shrimp relationship so if I can do it temporarily I might try. I'm also not gong to put the fish at too high a risk.

Thanks again for the input guys.

Eggcrate will not likely do the job. Wheeler's gobies are jumpers, or at least I've had one jump in the past.

Back