Best Hermit

ive always gone for red leggeds . as i understand they are less aggressive towards other tank mates. but i have had problems with both blue and red eating snails ( turbos ) even when there are shells around for home upgrades

ad

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11353662#post11353662 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by new_world_disor
ive always gone for red leggeds . as i understand they are less aggressive towards other tank mates. but i have had problems with both blue and red eating snails ( turbos ) even when there are shells around for home upgrades

ad

Agreed. Scarlet red legs are supposed to be the least aggressive.

I have a blue legged, a scarlet and one that's very dark red (kind of a greyish red). The blue legged is quite aggressive, will steal food from corals if he can get to them and gives me a hell of a time righting corals that he knocks over. It's because of him that I'm drilling peg holes all through the rocks in my new system. The dark red one is pretty well behaved and the scarlet is a model citizen, never bothers anything. I don't think he's even ever killed a snail, he just takes hand me downs from the blue. The blues have more personality but the scarlets are very well behaved.

hands down, scarlet hermits. They even grow large enough to eat some bubble algae. I wouldn't be without them. The micro bluelegs [be careful to get the genuine micros] are also nice, but aren't as catholic in their taste for algae [or as acrobatic] as the scarlets.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11353351#post11353351 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by landlord
Is "None" an option.

Just my opinion --landlord

It is an option but aswell as wanting a good clean up crew i wanted diversity aswell

Best hermits - id choose tigers

Best hermits - id choose tigers

Hi

I have 5 different types of hermit crab AND turbo snails! But I did used to have problems. My tips are, if you want to save the snails! Either blue dwarf blue legged and tiger legged (because the dwarf blues never grow big enough to nick the snail shells, and the tigers have the wrong shape of shell normaly, I have only ever seen them in cone shaped shells) or, buy metalic stripped blue leg hemits who are much bigger than the snails, mine have never tried to kick the shells and I presume thats becuase they are far too big to want them! Bear in mind though, if you overstock on hermits and they get hungry they are known to kill the snails simply or a meal, rather than their shell.

Hope that helps!

I keep the scarlet hermits and have not had a problem with them yet, although it's only been 6 months. All they ever do is climb around on everything and eat algae. They are very interesting to watch and their color is quite stunning, really. One of my scarlets I got from someone who had bluelegs and scarlets, and he said the bluelegs were so aggressive they had killed all the scarlets but the one he gave me!

The only thing is that with any hermit crab they will knock things over.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11354006#post11354006 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 07kar93
It is an option but aswell as wanting a good clean up crew i wanted diversity aswell

Id vote for "none" as well. If you want a diverse crew add a variety of snails. Recently Ive seen available; ceriths, nassarius, trochus, stomatella, and chitons.

Check out these Dr On atricles:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rs/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-06/rs/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-07/rs/index.php

You can have an uber diverse group without any clawed animals.

If I have to choose one, Ill go wtih the majority and say scarlet (aka red reef) hermits.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11354878#post11354878 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by H2OLUVSME
Id vote for "none" as well. If you want a diverse crew add a variety of snails. Recently Ive seen available; ceriths, nassarius, trochus, stomatella, and chitons.

I was able to find one trochus snail when i started my first tank. Best cleaner I've ever owned. I had my first tank for 3 years. Lost a number of animals before I finally figured out the basics of this hobby, but the one thing that survived the whole time was that trochus snail. That thing could eat some algae. Be it on the rocks, glass, sand, anywhere, and they're fast too.

If I could buy a bag of the things I would. Awesome cleaners IMO.

common

common

Hes not gonna do you any harm ;)
DSC00807.jpg

I gotta throw my 2 cents as well and say none also.
Just lots of snails, if you can count em you don't have enough!

I had a mexican red legged hermit and it did no harm. I now have some tiny blue legged hermits and a hermit that hitchhiked with some turtle grass from Puerto Rico. He is white in color and bothers nothing. I just picked up an emerald crab and some trochus snails.

I used to be anti-crab when they were attacking my snails, but I think picking the proper species is necessary.

Stay away from blueleg hermits. I have 3 redleg hermits in my 150 gallon reef. I seem the all the time and they never touch my snails.

I think they sell bluelegs because they are easy to catch and monster profit margin. this is the only reason I can think of why they are even in the hobby.

of the hermits I owned, the most benign were the redlegs. they just poked around in the dust.

Back