Best place for clam on bare bottom tank? *pics*

xenon

Owner of Canada Corals
I got a new clam today (Crocea Ultra) and I need to figure out the best placement in tank. I have 2x150wmh and 2x96w actinic but I will be upgrading in the next few weeks to 2x250w MH.

I dont think puting him on the bottom (cutting board) would be a good idea because thats permanent.

placement1.jpg

placement2.jpg

placement3.jpg

I don't know about the clam thing, but I have to say, your rocks and rockwork....is crazy.

Thanks.

I would really prefer if he was on the bottom. I have no idea how much he would stick to the HDPE cutting board.

i dont mean to go a little off subject but can you explain the HDPE cutting board stuff? This is my 1st time hearing about it? got any pics too?
Thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9268797#post9268797 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bimmernate
i dont mean to go a little off subject but can you explain the HDPE cutting board stuff? This is my 1st time hearing about it? got any pics too?
Thanks

HDPE = High Density Polyethylene.

Some bare bottom guys want to protect the bottom in case of rock slides. It also looks a little nicer too.

It's the same material used for cutting boards.

I got a 3/4" thick piece.

You are going to want to do the "normal" clam in the sand, with a rock under it thing. Use some kind of container... a small bowl or old chineese food plastic thing. Put a flat rock in and then fill with sand. The sand will keep the clam from tipping untill it can attach to the rock. Then place it wherever you like.

it is a 90g right? That is good light wherever you like.... look for lower flow.

Good luck

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9268913#post9268913 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xenon
I don't quite understand what you mean.

I dont want any sand in my tank.

It's temporary until the clam attaches to the rock.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9269054#post9269054 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ccorpse27
It's temporary until the clam attaches to the rock.

ok so the sand would be around the clam to keep it stable but the bottom of the clam would be sitting on the rock, correct?

I think what I am going to do is leave him on the bottom cutting board and keep an eye on him to see how much he can attach to it.

xenon - this is a little off the subject, but - how do you get your pictures and tank so absolutely clear and sharp. if you could share just one or two pointers about that?

I have a Nikon D70 but mine aren't close.

Michael

crocea clams prefer being in the rock work not the bottom. I suggest the higher the better but this also depends on your lighting ...10k or 20k etc. Also, how deep is the tank?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9269125#post9269125 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by woodstock '69
xenon - this is a little off the subject, but - how do you get your pictures and tank so absolutely clear and sharp. if you could share just one or two pointers about that?

I have a Nikon D70 but mine aren't close.

Michael

Your asking the whrong guy.

I have a crapy Sony DSC-M1 (5.1mp) and I absolutely hate it.

I usually clean pics up in photshop by using the "image - auto levels" feature.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9269143#post9269143 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by corndogg
crocea clams prefer being in the rock work not the bottom. I suggest the higher the better but this also depends on your lighting ...10k or 20k etc. Also, how deep is the tank?

Tank is 24" deep.

I run 2x150w mh @ 10k and 2x96w actinics.

My clam is on a rock in my BB tank. I put it on a nice ledge near the middle of the tank and it stayed there. Now it's got a footing so that I can't even budge it.
I don't see why you couldn't just put it on the starboard. As long as he isn't tipping over and getting enough light.
GL

Cool!

I am gonna leave him on the bottom untill I get more corals and figure out where everything fits. :)

xenon,
I would also put the clam higher up in the reef. I have a 6" crocea postioned mid reef level, in the rockwork. With only 150 hqi/ 10k, you may have more success this way. Just my opinion....Good luck with the clam.....

Back