Best place to buy Egg Crate for a Frag Tank?

Where are you guys using it where you would actually see it to care what color it is?
Mine is buried in the sand.

documentation? No, I don't remember each and every article I have read over the years just what the message was. And yes, I have had tanks for over 20 years as well... I'm 37 and have had tanks since I was 9. Right now, I have 50 something tanks and counting. I don't have a lot of the same problems other people do bc I follow a few guidelines like this one "“ if you want plastic in your tank, paint it with an inert paint like Krylon Fusion to seal anything that can cause leeching.

Take my advice or don't "“ that's your prerogative. I suggest treating anything plastic and why not? It's one simple step that can save you a lot of time and aggravation.

Let's not get too technical here though people and just search for past posts by others if you really want documentation but I don't see the need. I'm on almost 40 different forums so maybe I just have more exposure to see this stuff but it's pretty much common sense imo. Proof is in the pudding. Look at all the tanks with untreated eggcrate and see the algae problems due to high phosphates. Then look at other posts made by those who do treat their eggcrate with paint and see how there is no algae"¦

There is documentation out there so you can search for it if you'd like but I don't see the need since it is a pretty well known fact that all plastics have the ability to leech toxins in the water. PVC is safe imo but some people even debate that"¦

Why are you getting so bent out of shape?

You posted that the whites release toxins and two of us asked nicely about it and now you are acting like someone is attacking your mother.

As you said, the proof is in the pudding and I for one was simply asking for a link or additional information.

This is just like the brute container debate. Some people claim that is the source of their issues but upon review by others there is little evidence to support that.

:rolleyes:

Why are you getting so bent out of shape?

You posted that the whites release toxins and two of us asked nicely about it and now you are acting like someone is attacking your mother.

As you said, the proof is in the pudding and I for one was simply asking for a link or additional information.

This is just like the brute container debate. Some people claim that is the source of their issues but upon review by others there is little evidence to support that.

:rolleyes:

Oh wow - I just re-read my post and you are right. I didn't mean it to come accross like that. I'm not like that - just at work so not really concentrating - sorry if I offended.

What's an easy way to go about cutting this to size. I've been trying to use side cutters, and my palms are sore.

I use my coral fragging bone cutters. they snap with no effort and dont come out jagged for example, if you snapped them with force.

It is not hard to believe egg crate, a plastic product used for lights will leech whatever into your tank. I have noticed that when on racks, algae seems to want to overgrow my frags and not just on one occasion. There is no need to test this theory for me. I noticed it and stopped using it for now because I was tired of cleaning it. I will try to use the krylon technique. Is there any curing involved with that?

I was not offended by the response about my asking for documentation. We do not know one anothers experience level. My experience is with thousands of tanks, and 20+ years of my bills being paid by the hobby. Whatever this study is- I do expect it to be more anecdotal than scientific. But I come here to learn- and if there is a proper scientific study I am all for learning the result. Success comes from keeping an open mind. I consider things that I "know" to be opinions that must be fluid, because more is discovered all the time. But eggcrate is in thousands of healthy tanks.....

I was not offended by the response about my asking for documentation. We do not know one anothers experience level. My experience is with thousands of tanks, and 20+ years of my bills being paid by the hobby. Whatever this study is- I do expect it to be more anecdotal than scientific. But I come here to learn- and if there is a proper scientific study I am all for learning the result. Success comes from keeping an open mind. I consider things that I "know" to be opinions that must be fluid, because more is discovered all the time. But eggcrate is in thousands of healthy tanks.....

Thank you for that. I was writing as if I were speaking casually to a friend not a stranger on the internet - lol I just listed my experience because I noticed I only had a hundred something posts on this forum so I didn't want anyone to think I was unexperienced. This hobby is supposed to be fun so if I were to offend someone, it would bother me - but you guys are great sports!

I didn't want to muck up the original authors thread here so I poste don my own here: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2277701

Thanks for the reply. Got it fit. Tank is firefish safe.

I would suggest going to a fabric/hobby store, buying the stitching mesh (the material often used for algae turf scrubbers) and ziptieing that on to the eggcrate louver.

I want to say that eggcrate louver was standard (1/2" spacing) and my firefish, which had never ever been caught jumping or swimming erratically in the tank, ended up on the carpet jumping through the eggcrate. He was my first fish..sigh.

Seriously. Eggcrate is a jumping deterrent, and has worked for others, but is not jump proof.

edit: Also if you end up cutting more, I cut eggcrate effortlessly with tin snips.

Back