Best place to buy Egg Crate for a Frag Tank?

I got the black stuff from bulk reef supply. Home depot only has the white and i didn't feel like painting it. Shipping was reasonable.

I got the black stuff from bulk reef supply. Home depot only has the white and i didn't feel like painting it. Shipping was reasonable.

Why do you paint it?

I thought that people just kept it white.

Is there a reason to painting it black?

nothing more than asthetics. Some think the black looks better than the white. Stricly a personal choice. Lowes and home depot have the eggcrate in the lighting section.

I just bought a 2' x 4' panel at Lowes. It was on the isle right beside the lumber section.

Eggcrate comes in black or white. BRS sells 2x2 peices of black. They come in 2x4 pieces at home depot and such. But black is hard to find sometimes. Black just doesnt stick out as much in your rock work is the theory.

Why do you paint it?

I thought that people just kept it white.

Is there a reason to painting it black?

Yes absolutely. Eggcrate can leech toxins into the water so painting it with something like Krylon Fusion (which will turn inert when dried) will provide a barrier to stop or slow leeching. Plus, like everyone said, it looks better...

Yes absolutely. Eggcrate can leech toxins into the water so painting it with something like Krylon Fusion (which will turn inert when dried) will provide a barrier to stop or slow leeching. Plus, like everyone said, it looks better...

What kind of toxins? Any way to cure it before use?
I got mine mainly for a top to keep my new (in QT for now) firefish from jumping out, but was also going to use for skimmer stand and frag rack in tank.

Do you have any additional information? It would be interesting to read.

Thanks.

Only issues I see and hear is they tend t grow alage pretty bad. I just pull out and bleach them then vinegar, rinse dry and reuse.....

never had any issues other than alage

Oh, and lowes & HD for local egg crate & BRS for black online as stated above....

White seesm to grow the algae more than the black from my experience.....

The only eggcrate could imagine being toxic, is the mettalic painted stuff. I have never heard of toxin release from white-so lets see documentation please. I know of tanks it has been in for 20 years of more.

What's an easy way to go about cutting this to size. I've been trying to use side cutters, and my palms are sore.

Screw driver.

No really. Look at the size you wish to "cut" and move over one complete square then on the outside push down the screw driver.

If there are any single pieces left [ just push down with your thumb and they will snap off cleanly and the new edge will be flush.

It will take a minute to make the cut vs. 15 for snip snip snip.

The only eggcrate could imagine being toxic, is the mettalic painted stuff. I have never heard of toxin release from white-so lets see documentation please. I know of tanks it has been in for 20 years of more.

documentation? No, I don't remember each and every article I have read over the years just what the message was. And yes, I have had tanks for over 20 years as well... I'm 37 and have had tanks since I was 9. Right now, I have 50 something tanks and counting. I don't have a lot of the same problems other people do bc I follow a few guidelines like this one "“ if you want plastic in your tank, paint it with an inert paint like Krylon Fusion to seal anything that can cause leeching.

Take my advice or don't "“ that's your prerogative. I suggest treating anything plastic and why not? It's one simple step that can save you a lot of time and aggravation.

Let's not get too technical here though people and just search for past posts by others if you really want documentation but I don't see the need. I'm on almost 40 different forums so maybe I just have more exposure to see this stuff but it's pretty much common sense imo. Proof is in the pudding. Look at all the tanks with untreated eggcrate and see the algae problems due to high phosphates. Then look at other posts made by those who do treat their eggcrate with paint and see how there is no algae"¦

There is documentation out there so you can search for it if you'd like but I don't see the need since it is a pretty well known fact that all plastics have the ability to leech toxins in the water. PVC is safe imo but some people even debate that"¦

Back