best pump for AquaC EV-120

steamboatreef

-I'm planning on an AquaC EV-120 skimmer purchase

-Would a Jebao DCT-4000 pump work just as well as the recommended MAG-5?

-AquaC recommends the MAG-5 but the DCT-4000 is more powerful and can be throttled back to a similar flow as the MAG-5.

-How would I know what setting would give me similar flow to the MAG-5 though?

-Should I stick with the recommended MAG-5 or go with the more efficient and advanced Jebao DCT-4000 pump?

-I have not bought the skimmer yet, but I really like the design and want one. I want to get rid of the baffles in my sump and this skimmer is perfect for that reason.

Thanks in advance

-AquaC recommends the MAG-5 but the DCT-4000 is more powerful and can be throttled back to a similar flow as the MAG-5.

-Should I stick with the recommended MAG-5 or go with the more efficient and advanced Jebao DCT-4000 pump?

-I have not bought the skimmer yet, but I really like the design and want one. I want to get rid of the baffles in my sump and this skimmer is perfect for that reason.

Thanks in advance
With AquaC, it is pressure that matters most. The best pumps for the EV120 have been reported as the Eheim 1260 and the Mag7. The Mag 5 is actually the weakest pump you can get to work. With that pump most people complain that it does not perform well.

There is a chance that the 4000 may not be powerful enough as those DC pumps typically perform poorly at high head. Might be safest to spend a couple bucks more and get the next size up. You also might want to use the newer DCP version.

Thanks in advance

It should work just fine. I have the AquaC EV 180 and run it with the DCT 6000. I run mine on the 4th setting.

With AquaC, it is pressure that matters most. The best pumps for the EV120 have been reported as the Eheim 1260 and the Mag7. The Mag 5 is actually the weakest pump you can get to work. With that pump most people complain that it does not perform well.

There is a chance that the 4000 may not be powerful enough as those DC pumps typically perform poorly at high head. Might be safest to spend a couple bucks more and get the next size up. You also might want to use the newer DCP version.

Thanks for the reply, I just read through a long AquaC thread and noticed most EV-120 operators were using the Eheim 1260 as of about 3-4 years ago. The jebao pumps are fairly to the market if I'm not mistaken.

The 4000 and 6000 are so close in price, it'd be wise to size up just in case. You can always turn a 6000 down, you cannot ever turn a 4000 up.

Back