Best Return Pump

ChrisKirkland

Reef and Coral Fanatic
So I've been out of the hobby for about 4 yrs and now that things are settling for me personally I am beginning to design my build. Looking at a 200 Gallon Display Volume with about an 40 Gallon sump.

Looking to go with 2 return pumps for the sake of redundancy, which return pumps are best?

I love ecotech stuff but I have heard some not so good stuff about their vectra's. DC controllable return pumps would be ideal.

If you got a lot money go with bubble king return pump . Or go with ecotech L1 which I'm using since they first came out . Give up on me after 3 years but got replaced the new pump for free . That why I love about ecotech. The best customer service. I also using jebao sine wave water return pump last 2 years no issues so far really quiet too .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vote Eheim 1262. Yeah, not DC or exactly cutting edge, but unbeatable in reliability and fair power consumption and efficiency. My 1262 is going on about 14 years with zero issues, never even having the impeller axle replaced. Just a mild vinegar bath every few months.

I vote Eheim 1262. Yeah, not DC or exactly cutting edge, but unbeatable in reliability and fair power consumption and efficiency. My 1262 is going on about 14 years with zero issues, never even having the impeller axle replaced. Just a mild vinegar bath every few months.

I use to always run those. They run hot though.

I agree with the Ehiem as well. I used to run the 1262 as well for years and it was great. Got back in the hobby and got another Ehiem. No complaints.

I've had the Vectra M1 and the Reef Octopus Varios 8. V8 definitely pumps more water. Echotech is much more adjustable - set minimum and maximum flow, flow can be more exactly controlled. Reef Octopus has 5 settings and a feed mode - not able to set minimum and maximum.

Over 4 years on 2 Reef Octopus RODC 3500’s (old version of the Varios 4) with no issues. Coralview just replaced one of them with a new Varios 4 (thanks Carlos!) to fix a compatibility issue with their Hydros wave engine. The controller is different, but the pump appears to be the same.

Iwakis will not die. There's a cast-metal impeller that won't stop. A lot of stores use them. Mine's been going for 13 years with no rest, only one problem---a colonista snail, easily removed, after which the pump just kept going. I got the Japanese motor, supply your own plug, cord provided.

Back