Best Salt to buy?

Kzickovich how often you do a water change and how much on how many gallon's. Or does this have a impact to lower or raise it from you change. learning question.

I use instant ocean right now. Just got a free bucket of Reef Crystals so im going to try that for a while (Its only a 28g so a bucket will last me almost a year). Its not hard to bump up the Ca in IO

I was using Tropic Marin but tried Instant Ocean since I got a screamin' deal on it. I've noticed I have to dose a LOT more calcium now than I did with TM. I'll be switching back on my next purchase.

I use coralife and i like it. I would use reef crystals but its a lot more expensive around here. Instant ocean is the cheapest, but IMO is a terrible salt. It lacks calcium and the ability to dissolve quickly.

I've always used Instant Ocean by the bucket full. Last time I was at the LFS I bought Kent Marine because it was cheaper and they were out of Instant Ocean. I used it to set up my 110 gal after moving. I don't think I'd buy it again because there was a bunch of white residue everywhere. I did use RO/DI watar. On the plus side-- after scraping the glass and filtering the water, my tank has never been clearer, and all life is doing great! I don't know if it has anything to do with the salt mix though.

There is not best salt, you need to get what is available to you and see if you like, if you do not like it change salts. All tanks are different so no one but you can find the best salt for your tank.

marinelife is right, all tanks are different, see what works best for your mixed reef, by the way I use a mix, coralife & IO, works great for me.

I use instant ocean but find the salt tanks a while to break down. I want to try to something diff next time

I used to use Instant Ocean in my Fish Only set up and to be honest I think anything more expensive in that scenario is a waste of money.

Since switching to a reef tank though I've stuck with Red Sea Coral Pro. It's got the boosted levels of calcium, magnesium etc. and I picked it purely because my LFS does a good deal on it per bucket.

If I were you, I'd pick a reef salt if you plan on a reef, but make sure it's one you can get a regular supply of as continuity is v. important IMO.

Oh and get it online...wayyy cheaper.. Or at a BIG box store like petco or petsmart, wayyyyyyy cheaper than an LFS.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12285719#post12285719 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Larah
Reef Crystals... I have been happy with it so far!
Isn't Oceanic an airline? LOL! :D

You must be a Lost fan? :)

Back