Best Sand Size for Reef

Futurecanadian

hey everyone,

What is the best sand to use for a new reef? I want crystal white sand and as fine of a size as I can get away with without it blowing all over the place.

any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

personally I prefer sugar sized Aragonite, but I use/used both cheap $4/ 50lb bag "Play Sand" and the $20 #20 Aragonite

You will get varied replies, but after reading a gazzilion threads no one has definetivley proven plain ole play sand from Home Depot to be a issue...

SP, check out Carib-Sea Flor "Special Grade". It is white , not too fine or coarse. Very popular. Drs. F&S has it on sale right now I believe.

Thanks guys! Going with your recommendation of seaflor. Now that sand is picked I just need my moving day to hurry up and get here. Did the seaflor stay cloudy long?

No it was much better than others. Although if you didnt intend on doing it already, you should absolutely consider washing it with some RODI.

I need to get like 80 or so gallons of RODI for my big set up day. What is the best way to go about that? I am thinking go to home depot and buy a bunch of their buckets and fill them at whole foods... does anyone have any other ideas?

I do not have one set up and in the house there isnt enough space for one. I live near a Whole Foods and am able to buy RODI water for $0.39 a gallon. Not too bad in my opinion. I wish there was a delivery service for RODI.

Check the water you are getting. Before I had a RO/DI unit I was making the weekly trip to buy water at the local stores for .25 per gal I thought was good. I bought a TDS meter and come to find out there was a variation in the water anywhere from 24ppm to over 120ppm. Now I know I have pure 0ppm tds water and my tank has appreciated it.An RO/DI set up is small and you can only take it out when you need it. Well worth the investment in quality water and the convenience of not having to go get water.

I vote for Carib-Sea Flor "Special Grade" as well. I used it in my old tank and in my new tank. I have some wrasses that burrow into the sand to sleep and while they kick it up when burrowing in quickly settles back down instead of creating a sand storm in the tank. It is fine enough to support all sorts of sand life while being big enough that is does not create long-lasting sandstorms.

If your Vortech's are blowing seaflor around your tank, then they are too low in the tank.

I have 2 in my 90 with seaflor and can run them at 100% without creating a sandstorm. I run my Vortech's about 3/4 up.

It is probably the best choice but to say it doesn't blow around would be untrue.

The vortechs can be very powerful.

Back