Best skimmer for $200-$300

LobsterOfJustice

Recovering Detritophobe
Alright, I know it's a tight budget for a skimmer. This isn't for my personal tank - it's for the tank I'm setting up at a university, and that is the budget. $200-$250 would be even better. I know you can't get into all the high end stuff, but what's the best in this price range? I've always been concerned with better, more powerful, more expensive skimmers because I look for something a little better for my personal tank and I have a larger budget. But I just don't know where to start for this lower budget.

Depending on tank size i would go with a MSX 200($290) or find something in the used forums to fit the size/bioload of the tank.

an octopus extreme or MSX would be my choice as well.. Also look into the new vertex skimmers. I hear alot of good things about them on here, i believe they even have a thread going in the lighting and filtration forum for the vertex

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14158634#post14158634 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kenmx10
Really need more info on your setup. I would post this on the filtration forum .

Well regardless of the tank it's going on, in a given price range the best would still be the best right? I purposefully left that out because I will get suggestions out of the price range :)

Buying new is probably most practical. It's not necessarily me in charge of the money, so I'm not really in a position to find a deal and jump on it. I'm working under a professor and she is probably weary of buying used off the internet.

Back