Best Skimmer for my reef tank

i_am_blokeman

Hi All!

Can anyone please give me some feedback on what the Best protein Skimmer for a reef tank 72" x 30" x 30" 1061 litres + a refugim of 200 litres.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers
Kim

how much $$$ do you want to spend?

IMO, the deltec skimmers are probably the best out there, and for your tank, you would probably go with either the APF600 (retail $815 US) or the AP701 (retail $1080 US).

if you have a good refugium, you would probably only need something the size of the APF600. well worth the money.

octopus makes a good affordable and easily modded skimmer.
works well stock, do the mesh mod and a few other easy ones and it really kicks some butt. Just depends on if your willing to do a little work or would rather spend a ton on another.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10480240#post10480240 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gregg@AMS
how much $$$ do you want to spend?

IMO, the deltec skimmers are probably the best out there, and for your tank, you would probably go with either the APF600 (retail $815 US) or the AP701 (retail $1080 US).

if you have a good refugium, you would probably only need something the size of the APF600. well worth the money.

An APF600 on a 200g tank? Yeah right.

8" body minimum. FWIW, H&S makes better skimmers than deltec, and theyre cheaper.

I've got H&S skimmers on both my tanks and they're amazing. I've had aqua c's and these things are way better, plus the quality is amazing.

Reeflo Orca! Check out the new 200 that made its debut at MACNA. I have the Orca 250 on my 300 and love it!

Kim,

How far are you from Sydney? If you want to get something from here (USA), let me know...I could bring it there for you. I will be there November 9-23. Planning to stay in Sydney and will be going to kern and see the Great barrier reef and New zealand.
PM me if you want somthing from here.

Regards,
J

I have tried all kinds and for the money, I like the simple design of the ASMs or EuroReefs. If you go big with them you will do great. You would need the G-5 I think for ASM and once broken in, will have you emptying your tank of some nasty stuff. If you have the dough though, Deltec or Bubble King are the names and work great too. I just have not found that they perform so much better as to justify the enormous extra cost.

reeflo ocra hands down! I run an octopus skimmer on my tank, i've modded it and it pulls out some disgusting stuff. When they come out with the smaller reeflo orca im getting it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10802854#post10802854 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefnut1
Does anyone have an opinion on ETSS skimmers 500, 600, 800?

I can not speak to the 500 but the others are excellent, much better than nws

Back