Best snails for reef tank.

96gts

I'm getting tired of flipping over the Astraea in my tank when they got knocked over. I have about 15 Astraea (maybe 6-7 left), 15 Cerith and 5 Nassarius Snail in my 90gal, along with about 20 red and blue legs hermits. What will be a good snails to replace those Astraea? I would prefer something that will right on itself when got knocked over?

Personally I like white and black nasarrius for sandbed; Margarite and Turbos for algae on rock and glass. Margarites will need to be flipped if they land upside down, turbos are bulldozers, so have everything glued down...

JMO

LL

Trochus snails are good. They can get good size and eat quite a bit - best of all, they can right themselves if they fall. Long lived too IMO - I have a couple that are probably 4 - 5 years old.

I can't keep my urbos alive for more than 1 month for some reason... Turban Snail ( Tectus fenestratus) FTW !

Trochus snails are good. They can get good size and eat quite a bit - best of all, they can right themselves if they fall. Long lived too IMO - I have a couple that are probably 4 - 5 years old.

I have a Trochus that is over a year old. All other snails seem to go fast, with Mexican Turbos having the highest mortality and the most damage.

The problem with Trochus is our LFS in the area do not get them very often. Anybody have a good online source for Trochus snails?

Trochus is the "best" reef snail for rockwork. Nassarius Vibex (not the ebay ones) for the sand and ceriths for the edges where the rock, sand, and glass meet.

Margarita snails are NOT reef snails. Do not put them in your tank and do not support the hoards of wholesalers who stop by the California beaches on the way to work and scoop up a $1000 in temperate snails to sell to the unsuspecting hobbyist. Do not buy them.

Do not buy the nassarius obsoleta snails or any nassarius that is cheaper then the rest on ebay. The are collected in NC, are also temperate snails, and these happen to come with mites that can live in your skin for a few days causing rashes and itches.

I can't keep my urbos alive for more than 1 month for some reason... Turban Snail ( Tectus fenestratus) FTW !

I think I might have a couple of those that I thought they are bigger Astraea. Will they right themselves when knocked over?

I like the Trochus for the rock, with onyx nassarius and a few dove snails mixed in to help clean out the sand. If you have a mandarin skip the onyx because they will wipe out the copepods on the sand.

I like the Trochus for the rock, with onyx nassarius and a few dove snails mixed in to help clean out the sand. If you have a mandarin skip the onyx because they will wipe out the copepods on the sand.

Onyx nassarius are Nassarius Obsoleta and the ones you DO NOT WANT. Do not buy any cheap nassarius. They are all the same thing with different names.

Don't take my word for it take Mike's... http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-11/mg/index.php

A quote from linked article.

Ilyanassa is an intermediate host for at least nine species of trematode fluke. In most populations, over 50% of the adult snails have at least one species of this parasite, and in some populations the rate of infection is as high as 94% (Curtis and Hubbard, 1990; Curtis, 1997)! While none of these flukes actually targets humans as hosts, they do sometimes mistakenly burrow into human skin and cause what is known as "swimmers' itch," or more properly, cercarial dermatitis (Sindermann, 1960). This condition creates an extremely itchy rash similar to poison ivy that can last for up to a week. Affected snails will continue to release the infective stage of these flukes into a tank for up to a decade (assuming the snails live that long), and any exposure to the tank's water puts the aquarist at risk of infection (Curtis et al., 2000).

Last edited:
I'm getting confused which is which for the Nassarius Snail. What are these?

p-80509-snail.jpg

p-89294-snail.jpg

The top picture is a nassarius vibex. The bottom picture is the larger Tongan variety, nassarius distortus. Both are reef safe.

This has been a concern of mine too. Reading up on them while waiting for my tank.
Subscribing!
100th post!

no snail has never really helped me with algae... i may just seem some bites marks now and than. Ive had severe param changes earlier on with my tank yet ive stilled had my turbo for 6 months now. Funny thing is, he stays right under my anemone all day until lights off and than at night roams the tank, maybe its for protection or something.

I have a large Mexican turbo snail that eats everything but valonia. It gets rotated between three nano tanks depending on which one needs the help. Been around about three years and it's an algae eating machine.

If you can't keep one alive I suspect it's because it starves to death.

100% agreed on that.

Redbanded trochus snails are by far my favorite, and they can reproduce in your system (the skimmer may remove all the veligers though).

I've considered setting up a "swamp tank" to allow the trochus to reproduce--- basically a huge fuge with no display tank, lol. I have a spare 5.5g I may try this with.

Back