Best SPS for mixed reef tank, no SPS experience

Kevomac

I have been "reefing" for almost twelve years now, and have discovered the wrong way to do just about everything. This last July I set up my dream tank. Its an Oceanic 215 with a melev built refugium / sump. The lighting is 8 36" T-5 tubes, with half being 10K and half being actinic. The tank is a mix of lps and softies, inlcuding assorted brains, fox and bubble corals, plus colts, leathers, a few shrooms and two large bta's. It seems like most of the stuff I have is recommended to be at the bottom of the tank, and I'd like to try some sps to fill in space toward the top.

The fish in the tank include a regal blue tang, two pink skunk clowns, a maroon clown, a six line wrasse and four green chromis.

The return on the tank is a Mag 12, and tank has around 200-250 pounds of lr which is covered with purple, green and what appears to be blood red coralline algae (the red is almost as dark as cyano, but is hard like coralline). I also have a fuge with chaeto in it.

Is there potential for chemical warfare between sps and my current stock? If not, what sps would anyone recommend that is hardy and would do well right under my lights?

My ph is stable (8.3), nitrates and other dissolved organics read zero. I have not checked calcium, but the corraline is taking over the overflow boxes, so it is at least high enough for that.

LMK!

I would try a montipora cap, they seem to do well in mixed reef tanks and are more forgiving than some of the other SPS. They also form nice plating structures and maintain good color without absolute control over the stability of the tank.

I think a monti cap is a great starter SPS. You should be able to get a small frag from a reefclub in your area or perhaps a frag swap.

All Montiporas are great. They come in just about every growth form and color imaginable and are very hardy and fast growing. Probably my favorite SPS coral.

Wow that was fast! Yay RC! I see sps frags for sale on my local MAS board all the time for anywhere from $5 up to $20. I'll look for montipora's and let ya'll know how they do!

Thanks!

Hook up with a local reefer in your area and he will probably give you some frags. They grow quickly and most plating montis don't seem to have a lot of resale value. The encrusting montis are a different story and many can be very expensive, although most are extremely colorful.

Back