best tank shape for swimming fish?

Cozen89

Premium Member
I'm currently in the market for a 70-90 gallon tank. Wondering what shape is the best for active swimming fish. I currently have a coral beauty, oc clown, bartlett's anthias, bicolor blenny, and a angular flasher wrasse. I will probably get another wrasse or 2.

So my question is what shape of tank is best for these active swimmers? Long, tall, or wide?

in my current 36inch long it seems once my fish catch a current from the powerhead and dart across the tank, they have to slam on the brakes before they hit the other side. As or right now none of my fish are over 2.5 inches long.

Your help and input is appreciated. Thanks. :rollface:

Last edited:

reefnetworth

Premium Member
sounds like your tunrover rate is to high if your fish are braking to keep from hitting the glass! :lol: how many GPH are you pushing now? :confused:
JDM...:cool:

Cozen89

Premium Member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9848990#post9848990 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefnetworth
sounds like your tunrover rate is to high if your fish are braking to keep from hitting the glass! :lol: how many GPH are you pushing now? :confused:

I have 2 seio 620's in the lower rear corners of the tank and 1 maxijet 1200 with a rotating head on the upper front corner.

Also have my HOB skimmer and HOB fuge powered by maxi 12's.

Always thought the more flow the better.

They aren't literally hitting the glass, but from time to time I'll see one of my fishes darting across the front and have to slow it down pretty fast as they come to the other side. Just seems like they'd want a little more room to cruise across.

Cozen89

Premium Member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9849362#post9849362 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefnetworth
www.glasscages.com try them out. or go for the 90G if you can. the more the easier to care for! :)

Has anyone bought tanks from this site? The prices seem to be pretty decent. I've been looking for a tank around 48inches long because I have a 36inch tek fixture that I really like. Always figured taht would limit me to around a 70-75 gallon but i see they have a 90 gallon acrylic that's 48x18x24.

Anyone with experiences on the quality of these tanks please give me some feedback. Thanks.