Best upgraded pump for Biocube29

martinplayer

Anyone do an upgrade to their pump on a Biocube 29? I've had my for 2 1/2 years ans think I'd like to increase the filtration flow. I've read threads about the Rio6 HF working well. My question, Can I put a Rio8 HF in. Would it just provide stronger filtration and flow or would the intake not be able to keep up with the pump? I'm pretty sure it would fit in the 3rd chamber even though it is a bit bigger than the stock one. Any thoughts or experience?

four line wrasse
flame angel
maroon clown
rose bubble tip anemone
frog spawn
fire shrimp
3 emerald crabs
lots of corals
upgrade light kit from nanotuners

I upgraded mine to a rio hyperflow 6 I believe its about 100gph more than the stock and it fits fine in the third chamber.

maxijet is another viable alternative. i'm running a mj1200 but i've read others use a mj900. mj's are great but they also produce heat so if your running a MH set up, it might not be benificial to use MJ's

thanks for the suggestions. not running MH just the upgrade that doubles existing lighting. No heat issue. Rio says heat not an issue. Rio 6HF is 3.9" X 2" X 2.5" and the Rio 8HF 4.4" X 2.3" X 2.8"
Not much bigger. Just concerned that the draw will not keep up with the pump. Anyone mod the flow opening????

I have the flow with my rio 6hf split with a Y fitting to loc line with a 3/4 flare and a hydor flo.

Back