Best vibrant multi colored juvenile fairy wrasse?

wkp42

Which juvenile fairy wrasse has the brightest colors and the most colors, regardless it it's female or trying to turn male? Must have multiple vivid colors on it. None that are faded looking. Surely there are some 2" juvenile fairy's that look good? Thanks for your reply.

I am not sure about Juvenile being colorful. None of the Juvenile will be colorful.
My 1.75 inches Naoko Fairy and my 2 inches Exquisite are very colorful

Naoko Fairy, 1.75 inches
attachment.php

Exquisite Fairly, 2 inches
attachment.php

Your Exquisite looks excellent. How big was he when you got him? How different is his color from now to back then? Thanks for reply

I got him from Petco as an emaciated 1 inch fish with very little color 18 months ago. He flourish quite a bit grow to about 2 inches and colorful as he is right now.Fat like a torpedo. I girth is as thick as his height, like a Tuna. Tail streamers started also.

Picture about 13 months ago, after he is in my tank for 6 months
attachment.php

Last edited:
Flame are very beautiful. I had a male flame in a previous tank. He was a beautiful solid flame red up top and orange at bottom. When I first got him he was kinda white at bottom and pink/red at top. I thought they sent a female. After a day he was that flame red and orange, no more white. After a few weeks I started noticing that he could change himself back and forth. He was just red/orange when cruising but if I went to tank and he saw me he would fade to white and pink/red and then fade back to male colors. Not sure if anyone else had this happen but was very cool. However in this tank I am looking for something with more pinks, teal, green, blue purple, yellow. Not the reds and oranges. I have rhomboid and lineatus also, but not really wanting all those lines in them. I like the way the colors fade change on fish like the scotts, solor, exquisit, blue sided and so on. But I have 0 experience with any of those and have no idea what the smaller ones in the 1.5"-2" range look like. I really doubt that size would be anywhere close to make colors, but how dull are they. And what others that small already pop with some of those colors?

All Fairy wrasse changes from female to male. Are you suggesting that Flame also changes from Male back to Female?

All Fairy wrasse changes from female to male. Are you suggesting that Flame also changes from Male back to Female?

My understanding is male wrasses are capable of changing back to female until they reach "terminal male" stage. This likely means that "transitional male" can transfer back to female.
However, I doubt the pictures above demonstrate that as the flame wrasse was too large and almost certainly terminal male. Color changes could've changed due to lighting, diet, etc.
If anything, one could argue the last picture shows the flame wrasses transitioned into "super male".

Which juvenile fairy wrasse has the brightest colors and the most colors, regardless it it's female or trying to turn male? Must have multiple vivid colors on it. None that are faded looking. Surely there are some 2" juvenile fairy's that look good? Thanks for your reply.

For smaller fair wrasse, yellow fin is probably my favorite. Their males max out at 2.5"-3" and look great.

Yes I know several people who had a pair of flames and one who had a trio (ffm) that all ended up with nothing but males after a few months.

I have two Lubbock males, and two Pintail males in my 320 gal DT. The Lubbock males chase each other often, but there is no aggressive interaction between the two Pintail males. I put the two Lubbock together because they look so different, at the time I though I had a female and a male. They have been together for almost 2 years, both are doing well, never have wound due to fighting each other. Both are fat.

I put the two Pintail together becasue I never see any aggression or display when I put a mirror on the QT with Pintail in it. They just ignored their reflection. I reason that if a male Pintail, ignore his reflection, then he will just ignore another Pintail male, and he (they) did.

I have two Lubbock males, and two Pintail males in my 320 gal DT. The Lubbock males chase each other often, but there is no aggressive interaction between the two Pintail males. I put the two Lubbock together because they look so different, at the time I though I had a female and a male. They have been together for almost 2 years, both are doing well, never have wound due to fighting each other. Both are fat.

I put the two Pintail together becasue I never see any aggression or display when I put a mirror on the QT with Pintail in it. They just ignored their reflection. I reason that if a male Pintail, ignore his reflection, then he will just ignore another Pintail male, and he (they) did.

Do you have pics of Lubbocks?

Here is my two Pintail. Sorry for the poor quality picture. I just snapped tow pictures to show that I indeed have them together.

attachment.php

Attachments

• PintailFairly2019092801.jpg
    PintailFairly2019092801.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1
Here is my two Pintail. Sorry for the poor quality picture. I just snapped tow pictures to show that I indeed have them together.

attachment.php

Lots of good looking wrasse in there. I still think your exquisite has best color. Thanks for sharing.

Anyone else have feedback? What fairy wrasse do you think has the best colors as a female, or in the 1.5" size range?

Back