Best way to add sand in a tank?

karlyhui

Hi thanks for reading my post.

I got around 50 pounds of sand and I want to add my establish tank with 1 inch or so sand.

I don't want to create a sand storm.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

put sand in cup and invert, or pvc pipe pour through there. Gonna do the cup way when i add more sand to my tank

Another option is a pop bottle. Fill it with sand using a funnel, cap it, put it in the tank, and uncap near the bottom, and slowly pour the sand out.

I was thinking of doing that also---won't that disrupt the kind of cyling going on in the established sand bed?

could that be a remedy for the slime algae I have--just bury it and the nutrients etc that it is feeding on deep into the substrate to eventually be worked on the the bacteria once established again.

You'll just end up with slime on the top of the new sand. Best solve the nutrient issue first.

My 02

Remember that if your current substrate is "mature" it has layers of aerobic and anoxic bacteria which live in specific zones based on the level of oxygen .. when you add substrate you change the level of oxygen and run the risk of killing off that bacteria. Many would argue that if your determined to add more sand and you should do so in thin layers added every couple of weeks which will allow the bacteria to migrate/repopulate and avoid potential problems.

my sand bed is only one inch at best so I doubt if there is any anerobic activities going on--plus the bottom is constantly bared by a "clarkie from hell"
That's why i was thinking of making the sand bed deep so i could get the benifits of some anerobic activity

my sand bed is only one inch at best so I doubt if there is any anerobic activities going on--plus the bottom is constantly bared by a "clarkie from hell"
That's why i was thinking of making the sand bed deep so i could get the benifits of some anerobic activity---plus I have a 30gal with a well established sand bed that I could get a cup or two from to seed it

Hi

That's the exact reason I added more sand. It seems my clowns and or messing with the sand leaving the bottom bare.

urghh... is too late I cause a sandstorm.

Hopefully it will clear soon. Should I close the filter?

thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10422865#post10422865 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by karlyhui
Hi

That's the exact reason I added more sand. It seems my clowns and or messing with the sand leaving the bottom bare.

thanks

close the filter?? I would think you would want to continue to run it to get rid of that excess detrius

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10419029#post10419029 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MalHavoc
You'll just end up with slime on the top of the new sand. Best solve the nutrient issue first.

I hear you--I am being patient and have really cut down the feeding.
Those sheets of Nori and kelp, spirulina etc---if uneaten will they increase the phosphate/nitrates in the tank?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10422865#post10422865 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by karlyhui
Hi

thanks

one of the guys told me to had a heavier(coarser) substrate around the area that was being dug up--adding more sand just gives them a bigger sandbox to play in. :)

What i was thinking of doing was putting down the one inch layer again and over that make a small pile of rock rubble that blends in with the tank

Hi

I thought about putting something there also, but I didn't want to disturb there playground. Didn't want to be mean to them.

I have to see if it works after the storm clears. For some reason they seem to love the storm. Much more active.

I'm with sylfish.Thats How i add if i need to.Easy to do,and you can direct the sand just where you want it.Good luck.

sand bed fill tool

sand bed fill tool

go to your neigborhood auto parts store and buy a oil filler funnel due to there lengh of usally 18 to 20inches,insert into tank,filler will fill with watermadd sand,work around tank and you will have hardly,if any dust,works for me great,thats how i add new sand,:rollface:

I'd do it patch at a time. Let it settle out of any hair-algae snit, add another couple pounds, wait, etc.

Back