best way to clean cheatoe

o0jmadr0x0o

every time i trim down my cheatoe a gang of detritus pours out of it. it is in a 50g fuge, so there is a lot of cheatoe. is there a good way for my to pull out the whole mass of it and get all the crap out without killing all the microfauna in it?

i have a maxijet 1200 with the mod and a sieo 820 pointing right at it. i think if anything this just pushes more deitrus into the cheatoe

Wash it in a bucket of rodi water. Mine doesn't seem any worse off for a quick freshwater dip and you can kill off some unwanted pests. Comes out very clean.

Alternately, you could wash it in tank water from a water changes.

been wondering about this

been wondering about this

anyone think it is better to leave it dirty as not to kill off any helpful bacteria/?
I like the look of clean chato but if its bad to rinse it.

The bacteria in there would be pretty negligible, you might worry about other animals like stomatellas, stars, pods and worms living it, but even those are not going to have a big impact by losing them.

I leave mine alone and it manages to stay clean on it's own. I'm not entirely sure why, but I seem to have a higher turn over rate in my sump than most people. there is a huge amount of pods and worms running through as well which I imagine help devour any detritus.
chaeto.jpg

Back