Best way to find nitrate and phosphate balance

oshanickreef

Hey everyone! I have always struggled with keeping my nitrates and phosphates balanced and low. My pbjective is to keep them low enough so algae doesn't take over but not zero because that's how I kill stuff. My tank seems to be "œtoo clean" as I have issues keeping my nitrates up. But then when I try to feed more to compensate I just get algae blooms that take a month or two to get rid of. Any way people keep there levels consistent and balanced? I know there must be a way!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You just need the right amount of lights and flow with the right nutrients. I was battling with algae almost a year ago. I decided to use fluconazole to kill all algae and spam as much bacteria and as much variation of bacteria strains to keep everything stable and balanced. Now what i did was to use carbon dose to let the bacteria to take care my N:p ratio.

My phos is 0.1, which is considered high. No idea of my nitrate level, but knowing its low by looking at my corals.
0ae8d9a182962790866c4e1260316d7a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Time is another factor. That and the fact rock and sand may slowly release phosphate as they soak. After a few years this becomes nada.

You could simply dose Nitrate. Potassium Nitrate is sold as stump remover in hardware stores. Works great and gives you control over Nitrate without adding Phosphate.

Back