Best way to plumb

Touge

Hey everyone. I was thinking of adding a 20 gallon high tank to my 29 gallon reef tank as a refugium/sea horse display. But I'm not quite sure how to plumb those two tank together. Let me know what you guys think I should do
7b8afdc37afa8860eeb5d9f22bae2d0a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

HOB overflow on DT to the 20 gallon and some flexible piping for the return to the DT. That's how I'd do it, but it would be pretty ugly looking.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

HOB overflow on DT to the 20 gallon and some flexible piping for the return to the DT. That's how I'd do it, but it would be pretty ugly looking.

Mmm yeah but where you the input for the 20g be? Top, side, bottom?

Mmm yeah but where you the input for the 20g be? Top, side, bottom?

I wouldn't think it matters all that much, you would obviously have to go in through the top and then you can place it wherever you want. This is assuming you don't want to drill the tank.

It would be very easy to do for around $100, cheap used overflow and a low gph return would do it. If you think of the extra tank like a sump for your main tank, it gets a bit easier to imagine.

I wouldn't think it matters all that much, you would obviously have to go in through the top and then you can place it wherever you want. This is assuming you don't want to drill the tank.

It would be very easy to do for around $100, cheap used overflow and a low gph return would do it. If you think of the extra tank like a sump for your main tank, it gets a bit easier to imagine.

Alright thank you very much for your input in this

I had a similar set up a few decades ago and I had pH problems - the pH would lower greatly. Two tanks connected at the same level allowed too much CO2 to accumulate, and the water became acidic. Air infusion did not work.

I would not simply allow water to flow into the other tank, I would use a powerful little pump, a spray bar, and a small skimmer to increase O2 levels.

And you need to monitor pH.

I had a similar set up a few decades ago and I had pH problems - the pH would lower greatly. Two tanks connected at the same level allowed too much CO2 to accumulate, and the water became acidic. Air infusion did not work.

I would not simply allow water to flow into the other tank, I would use a powerful little pump, a spray bar, and a small skimmer to increase O2 levels.

And you need to monitor pH.
Good to know, thank you for letting me know. I will keep that in mind when setting it up

Back