best way to run carbon?

macreefster

i am using the rox .08 carbon from bulk reef supply and am running it in a via aqua phosphate reactor by itself (no gfo). the problem is that it all congregates at the top of the reactor, clogging together, slowing the water flow. turning the water flow down seems to help a bit, but not sure if thats the right solution since i get less water being treated. i have a magnum HOT cannister filter laying around, would that be a better way to run carbon? any suggestion would be appreciated, thanks.

if you look at tlf phosban reactors and bulk reef supply's reactors you could try to fudge your design.

I have the dual bulk reef supply gfo + carbon reactor and they use foam inserts to put at the level where you want your media kept.

The rox .08 is very tricky to run through an upflow reactor IMO. I tried it in a phosban reactor for my ozone system and it all but shredded the sponge and ended up in my sump, and when I dialed the flow down I basically got no flow. For an upflow reactor I just get the cheaper "big grain" stuff from the LFS. I currently run 3 downflow canisters from lifereef with the rox .08. Not sure about the magnum canister. If there is sufficient contact time through the carbon that would be best. If it is passive flow around a media bag it may not be so good.

Good Luck

thanks, runningstix. the via aqua reactor is much like the tlf, its just that the rox .08 is so fine it packs too tightly. maybe he lignite carbon is best with it.

i'll try the canister landlord. i love the rox .08, it provides crystal clear water, but i guess i found what you have.... that its maybe too fine for an upflow reactor.

Back