Best way to skim when skimmer is too big?

hobbzz

How do I change this?
I currently have a 40 breeder with 9 small fish, feed twice daily, and dose vinegar. I'm upgrading to an 80g. I picked up a used sro xp2000 this week. The original plan was to keep my sro1000 until I got the larger tank and my bioload increased, as Jeremy from coralvue said the xp might be too big for the current bioload, and I thought the same. Well I listed my skimmer for sale on the local forum thinking it would take a few weeks, just putting out a feeler really, and someone responded and needed it more than me. So, now I've got the xp 2000 running.

It holds a nice foam head, in about 6.5 inches of water. I can fully adjust it between dry and wet at this water level. Black sludge skimmate collects in the top of the neck, but not much makes it into the cup. It is currently running in the "middle" of wet and dry. So what specifically would be best in this temporary situation? Run it in deeper water to get more air draw (read that on a review online)? Run it really wet or really dry? Don't run it 24/7 but instead run it 6 or 12 hours a day? One thing I will not do is get another smaller skimmer for the next 2-3 weeks. I just figured every situation has a "best" skimming method. So what's this one? Tia.

So keep it running 24/7 but wet. How wet are we talking? Bubble level 2" from top of neck? 4"?

Back