"Best" way to treat Ich in display tank?

UV sterilizer. I understand there is a lot of debate on their effectiveness. I have a 50w HO Pentair on my 220G mixed reef.

7 tangs not a single issue with ich since I added the UV, 3 yellow, Sailfin, Naso, Regal, and a jumbo Powder Blue.

It was painful to bite the bullet and buy a properly sized $700 UV setup with all the mixed info out there on the threads. With a couple $100-$200 dollar fish in my tank all happy and disease free since I added one (1 year+) I'm a believer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UV sterilizer. I understand there is a lot of debate on their effectiveness. I have a 50w HO Pentair on my 220G mixed reef.

7 tangs not a single issue with ich since I added the UV, 3 yellow, Sailfin, Naso, Regal, and a jumbo Powder Blue.

It was painful to bite the bullet and buy a properly sized $700 UV setup with all the mixed info out there on the threads. With a couple $100-$200 dollar fish in my tank all happy and disease free since I added one (1 year+) I'm a believer.

Out of curiosity, which model did you buy?

Out of curiosity, which model did you buy?

0413eac08a3d5b124118a8b0658fc6f6.jpg

0413eac08a3d5b124118a8b0658fc6f6.jpg

I run it low flow ~300gph off my manifold 24/7. Yes, I wonder if I should run it less. My SPS coral growth and color over the last year have been pretty good.

A number of my torches and hammers are a little pale and haven't taken off growthwise like my SPS... But Im pretty sure it low nutrients not UV.

Correlation is not causation, you get that, right? The 'debate' isn't so much over effectiveness (UV does what it does), but over claims.

Yup completely agree. Correlation is not cause.

I think all forum readers should balance out everything they read with caution.

My opinion:
We often forget that there are many variables in each of our reef aquariums. That variation (setup time, bioload, livestock, mix of equipment...etc) ultimately renders each of our individual observations as anecdotal.

Unless proven in a lab with controls established, scientific process, peer reviewed findings..etc none of what we claim should be perceived as fact.

Nevertheless... If your read enough, there are trends of experiences that influence our behavior. Some that are more helpful than others. I personally believe that sharing anecdotal experiences via forums have furthered the hobby considerably.

The interest and engagement has grown the hobby. More people involved, more aquarium industry, R&D, better equipment, all of this has been awesome stuff. It has created the "œpotential" (not guarantees) for more vibrant and really healthy home reefs.

Yes there are more failures, there are more hobby exits too. Gosh they're all over the forums. We've probably all failed once or twice.

I feel the risk/reward element of this hobby, the triumph after failure... is precisely what makes this hobby challenging and most exciting.

All good conversation guys.

I've learned so much from the debates over UV, high/low nutrients, LED lighting, water changes vs supplementation approach, cyano, dino quick fixes, refugium vs mechanical filtration.

My favorite part, is watching, reading, and witnessing the creativity that everybody displays when building, maintaining, and problem solving issues in their reefs.

Thank you everyone for your participation:)

I don't know.... My fish haven't had ich since I planted the sugar maple in the front yard last year.

Excellent! Many years ago a, now departed, reefing buddy of mine became convinced that floating a potato in his tank prevented ich. How he came to even try such a thing I don't now recall, but he got really put out when I asked him if the potato needed to be peeled or not. I thought it was funny .... him not so much. There have been many threads on garlic, even one on ginger if I recall. All nonsense if you ask me.

Back