Betadine/iodine

Pattylucylaura

Would this be safe to use for a zoo dip? It is Betadine but says it is 10% Povidone-Iodine-(1% available Iodine) that is the active ingredient. Inactive ingredients include pareth25-9, purified water, and sodium hydroxide. Anybody who knows more about this stuff feel free to let me know if it is ok I won't use unless I hear it is ok.

Last edited:
I was just planning on using a little to add to some ro water to dip some zoos but was wondering if it was safe also how much would be safe to add to say 1/2 gal of ro for a zoo dip.

It is significantly more dilute than Lugols, so one would expect to add more (say, 5 times more). But again, I do not know if it is effective at all. So if you have a recipe for dipping with Lugols solution, and want to try this, more of it than the Lugols. I don't dip corals, so I don't have a recommended recipe.

Anyone else want to make a recommendation?

Betadine

Is quite common in this hobby but not to reef tanks. It has been used for decades to help prevent infection. Only, animals are not dipped in it but "painted " with it on the infected area/s, so as not to get it in the eyes or gills of fish and crustaceans. Fish eggs, however, quite often were dipped in it.

Real Betadine is PVP-I or polyvinlypyrrolidone plus iodine. PVP is what is used in the so called tank additives to help fish during stress. It is that so called "protective slime coat" in a bottle, like "Stress Coat". Povidine is not really Betadine, it is just similar to it.

Back