Big Calcium reactor... LOW Calcium?

BOKER420

Premium Member
I have a 6" OD 18" tall 1st chamber and a 6" OD 24" tall 2nd chamber. I used to be able to get over 500ppm out of just the 1st chamber but now with both I'm only getting 420ppm. My pH is arounf 6.4-6.6. I upgraded from a 125g tank to a 210g but I have less SPS in my new tank than I had in my old tank. My tank calcium is 300ppm. All of my other levels are good.
What is going on?
100_5470.jpg

DocJim

I had the same unexplained problem once, changed my media and all was well. Your media looks new though.

BOKER420

Premium Member
I've had the finer medai in there for awhile but just recently added some of the gen-x coral skelton media. Maybe that is why.

Does the media not all dissolve into calcium for the most part anyway?

jhendu

Premium Member
Is it possible that the old media has granulated to the point that it caused a clog somewhere?

ThaNgBOm321

im dont have 1st hand experience on ca/rx but from looking at the pic and info given... wouldnt your 2nd chamber be better suited for the 1st chamber?? it's taller = more contact of low ph water = more media to disolve.. another thing is that ic you have a downflow.. i think larger sized media is better for this as it allows for the water to flow through easier as oppose to smaller which compacted after a while.. another thing i see is now the 2nd chamber is supplied.. it is supplied via the 1st chamber which is supplied from the feed pump.. on my reactor that is yet to be hooked up.. the 2nd chamber is feed via the RC pump's outlet line... seems like it's design like that as to not over work the feed pump which is usually a smaller/weaker pump.. ( like a aqualifter or mj)

again.. i how no 1st hand experience but from my readings.. and observations.. theses may be part of the problem??

YzGyz

BOKER420

Premium Member
The 2nd chamber is the 2nd chamber because it was an add on and the 1st chamber is already plumbed. I made a spray bar like MRC's for the 1st chamber so I think the water is being mixed well inside the chamber. The pH in the 2nd chamber is almost the same as the first. Maybe .1 difference if that.
I've tried increasing the effluent and CO2 . I've also tried decreasing the effluent.

rlabriola

Premium Member
All of these seem to be great ideas, i had a magnesium problem with my tank and it gave me Ca Reactor hell for a while

DocJim

I only use ARM since it has the lowest phospate level, and is the best size for dissolving. I am not sure but I would guess larger media would need a lower pH to dissolve. Since you don't have much difference in pH between the chambers then be careful not to melt the smaller media.

BOKER420

Premium Member
The smaller media is by aqua-medic. I've had the pH well under 6.0 before and it didn't turn to mush so I think it should be fine with the larger stuff.

Is there a problem with lowering the pH? Obviously not low enough to turn it to mush but does it break down the media in a less efficient matter when the pH is lets say 6.3 or 6.2?