Big tank, New set up, when to add????!!!

obiwanthegoby

Hair Algae cultivator
Ok,

I have been succesfully keeping an SPS reef for over a year now, issue is I am now starting up a 400 gallon system to replace my 120. The live rock was cured for over 2 months and introduced to the tank early march. I added a few corals to the system a couple weeks ago and now have around 8 or 9 frags from mother colonies (in the 120) and a nice colony of pink mille. I have seen a great reaction to the new system which has 400 watters on it vs. the 250 the coral was under. (same bulbs Reeflux 12K). Polyp extension has increased tremendously, and the piece of blue monti digi I have hasnt shown polyps for 8 months in the 120 and has grown very slowly. Just 1 or 2 weeks after I put it in the 400 the bright blue polyps have slowly come out more and more. Everything seems to be adjusting good to the new light and the new tank.

Now for the question: I found a couple pieces of coral, rare coral, that I have been dying to get a hold of, a piece of true undata and ORA red planet table acro. Is it too early in the process to add these guys? I ask because both the 55 gallon softie tank and the 120 gallon sps tank I have were transplanted from friends houses. I never have had the fun and experiance in setting up my own system. Only maintaining it.

Obi

oooohhh... Tuff question! i know exactly how you feel. It's like you never really know when the time is right. It's gets more difficult as we pay more for these animals. If your nervous, play it safe and wait it out...good luck, i'm terrible at waiting!!

if the corals that you have in there are doing fine and all your parameters are within range then i would say go for it. But i know the feeling about being leery.

If it makes you feel any better:

When I started my 175 in Oct. I added 250# LR, 200# sand. 7 days later I added about $2k worth of fish; on day 10 I added about the same amount of sps!!!! Ped Planet was one of the initial batch alongn with a granulosa, valida (ora and wild) balina, joe, blue voodoo etc...

I still have all of them! Growing/healthy!

We all have our own tendencies:)

Back