Big Worry, Will it burst?

fishwonder

I am setting up the new 55 gl acrylic tank with 1/4 thickness. I noticed today the front was bent 1/2 inch. And the back was bent even more about 3/4 inch. Is there anyone has acrylic tank having this problem? Is it leading to a disaster? Will it burst in the future? Big Worry now

Where did you get this tank from? Does it have bracing of any kind? What are the dimensions?

That sounds like a lot of bowing, and definitely something to be concerned about.

Wheel of Time

please attach pictures, especially from the top so we can see if it is an actual aquarium and not a lizard tank. But I would be very concerned by the sounds of it w/o pics.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14793722#post14793722 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kzickovich
sounds like a reptile tank 1/4 is thin for a fishtank

I agree, that sounds too thin for a fish tank that big.

jon1985

I dont think many people make tanks for reptiles out of acrylic, to easy to scratch. You may be able to resolve your issue by making a frame that fits around the top to hold the front and back in.

robs.mark

Premium Member
Buy a new tank, your really gonna regret it if once stocked, it splits and you lose everything. I know it sucks, and is added expense.. If your just starting out i would strongly advise you to really think about the shape, overflow method, area etc of your new tank as its a huge problem if you decide to change down the line.
My 55 is a cube and its made out of 12mm glass (just under 1/2"). Acrylic tank are usually made thicker than the equivalent size in glass, so imo 6mm is far to thin, and is most probably intended as a reptile tank. Also be aware that acrylic does scratch much easier than glass, get some sand between you mag float and the tank and you have a problem.
Hope this helps..

birdz

consider the damage (around the tank and to the inhabitants) it would cause if the tank blew out; then consider the costs of a new tank

I'd replace the tank asap