Bio Filter Media - Marine Pure Spheres

moneymm

I want to put these in my sump for future QT needs.

Can i just rinse them and toss them in a nylon bag in my sump or do they need to cure like dry rock would?

You can do that. But the biofilter likes to have more of a trickle flow go over it where it is a mixture of air and water. Take a look at this pic for an explanation.

220px-Trickle_Filter.svg.png

You don't have to use these in a wet/dry application. There basically no different than a piece of live rock. Running them under a drip plate would only complicate things more IMO.

Last edited:
You don't have to use these in a wet/dry application. There basically no different than a piece of live rock. Running them under a drip plate would only complicate things more IMO.

ok, in the mean time, am i okay with putting them in the sump tank today, or do i need to let them cure in a bucket for a few weeks?

I want to put these in my sump for future QT needs.

Can i just rinse them and toss them in a nylon bag in my sump or do they need to cure like dry rock would?

I use these as well, and for the same purpose. Keeping them in a nylon bag in the sump has always worked just fine for me. I do also keep a stash of them in a TLF 550 rector, but I don't think they are any more 'inoculated' than the ones in the bag.

I use these as well, and for the same purpose. Keeping them in a nylon bag in the sump has always worked just fine for me. I do also keep a stash of them in a TLF 550 rector, but I don't think they are any more 'inoculated' than the ones in the bag.

Do I need to cure them or can I just put them right in the sump tank?

That's interesting ...

How are you going to use them in your QT?

As part of a HOB? Or just put a few of them on the bottom of the QT?

Back