Bio pellet reactor which one to choose ?

please advice which one have lesser problems?

You can use an smr1 just fine. What is more important is the type of pellet you use, they are not all made the same, despite what someone might tell you.

I use ecobak pellets, as I just started using them. After the months of research I have done, and phone calls I have made, ecobak is the way to go. Any issues or questions, and you can call them, and the owner/braintrust, Jon, will answer any of your questions. So far very pleased, minimal bacterial blooms, easy tumble rate, and you don't need a lot of flow like the others do. I invite you to research those pellets.

You can use an smr1 just fine. What is more important is the type of pellet you use, they are not all made the same, despite what someone might tell you.

I use ecobak pellets, as I just started using them. After the months of research I have done, and phone calls I have made, ecobak is the way to go. Any issues or questions, and you can call them, and the owner/braintrust, Jon, will answer any of your questions. So far very pleased, minimal bacterial blooms, easy tumble rate, and you don't need a lot of flow like the others do. I invite you to research those pellets.

what about the two little fishies ?

i am setting up a new tank . should i install the bio pellets reactor when it is recycling and is there any additional i need to do ?

My suggestion is not to use while you are cycling a tank. I am not totally sure about that, but that is what I would do. From what I understand, a lot of different pellet brands, are made in the same facility, out of the same material.

A lot of people have had issues with these, because they are known to break off and end up in your tank, thus feeding cyano and creating blooms.

These pellets are a better polymer, that is not known for doing that. If I were you, I would get a hold of warner marine, and speak to Jon. He knows the chemistry inside and out of the tanks, and is able to convey it to us regulars (well me anyway) in a manner very easy to understand.

I have spoken to him several times since starting these, each time knowing I had already made the purchase, and still is very helpful, not just with pellets but with other facets of reefing as well. Just go on there website, and the number is on the bottom.

I can walk you thru most of it, but being he is so available, I would ask the expert imho.

Biochurn by reef octopus is a set and forget kinda reactor. The media stays suspended and spins instead of tumbling. Check them out.

I like my AquaMaxx BioMaxx reactor. I used a Sicce Syncra 1 pump, which you can vary the flow with the dial on the front of the pump. The pellets from AquaMaxx were used and even with very low flow, no swirling, they never clumped up.

I pulled them offline to start running an ATS.

I have the Two Little Fishies Reactor 150 running bio pellets, I love it! Tumble is great through the unit.

Fill it up about 1/3 of the way with pellets that have been soaking for min 24hours, you want a good tumble going through the reactor to prevent clumping, can be accomplished with the included ball valve, you'll need to supply your own pump and hose for this reactor though, but they are cheap enough that you will still save some cash over others.

I would recommend starting the bio pellets as soon as you start the tank, this way it can build up the good biologicals while your tank is cycling. Plus it helps to keep water cleaner.

Another tip, run the return line from the reactor near to the input of your protein skimmer, why? This will suck up some (if not all) of the water after it's gone through the reactor and filter it through the protein skimmer catching even more waste. Be forewarned that this will increase the time between maintenance on the protein skimmer, mine fills up in just under a week.

I have to intercept here, you do not want to run a two little fishes phosban reactor, unless you are handy enough to modify it. With the way it is, pellets will no doubt leak out into your tank. I have seen it first hand, and heard many other accounts of it.

+ 1 Yup that's why certain models are called PHOSBAN REACTORS ( GFO ) and BIO PELLET REACTORS ( BIO PELLETS ) They are made by design for a reason.

Bio pellet reactor which one to choose ?

I have to intercept here, you do not want to run a two little fishes phosban reactor, unless you are handy enough to modify it. With the way it is, pellets will no doubt leak out into your tank. I have seen it first hand, and heard many other accounts of it.

Interesting, I've seen and experienced the opposite. I run a phosban reactor 150 with no issues.

You need to make sure you have the filters installed properly to make it work. But it does work.

I'm very happy with my aquamaxx reactor. I used to use a JNS but I would constantly have to clean the pump to keep the tumble consistent

Nothing more than normal cyno. I did have to clean my reactor filters as they got pretty grungy. The pellets are doing their job.

What's your tank size? People recommend a recirculating model typically. I'm running a Reef Octopus and have no complaints. Also running the recommended pellets from coralvue - biospheres and no clogging or gunk issues for me. Cyano almost non existent, but only running half of what I should if that.

Back