Bio pellets Hoopla or for realz?

Creetin

Limestone Cowboy.
Premium Member
;) Is there been any scientific data on this stuff? I seen what people claim but i don't think i'll be a lemming on this subject.
I have read all the claims, and frankly think some of it could be just the placibo effect.
Not to start an argument, But would like to see cold hard evedence of its value in reef tanks.

These scientific articles and more can be found here:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?h... reduction aquarium&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=ws

Biodegradable polymers as solid substrate and biofilm carrier for denitrification in recirculated aquaculture systemsFind It @ HS/HSLA Boley, WR Müller… - Aquacultural Engineering, 2000 - Elsevier
... as organic carbon substrate, eg PHB, leads to biomass, carbon dioxide and simultaneous
reduction of nitrate ... 6)) have approximately been achieved with PCL and Bionolle ... Nitrate
concentrations in the effluent of these denireactors were below the detection limit (0.23 mg/l N- ...
Cited by 61 - Related articles - BL Direct - All 4 versions

Denitrification of aquarium waterG Ritter - US Patent 7,244,358, 2007 - Google Patents
... Although it is already known according to the prior art to mix granulated material and molded
bodies consisting of PHB with the bottom layer of aquariums for a reduction in nitrates, the use
of PCL granulated material in the bottom layer of aquarium systems was not carried out to ...
Related articles - All 5 versions

(EN) DENITRIFICATION OF AQUARIUM WATER WITH THE AID OF POLYCAPROLACTONEG RITTER - WO Patent WO/2002/094,015, 2002 - wipo.int
... Abstract: (EN) The invention relates to agents for the removal or reduction of inorganic nitrogen
compounds, especially nitrate, from biological aquarium waters, containing a biologically
degradable polymer, preferably polycaprolactone (PCL) and to the utilization of said agents. ...
Cached - All 2 versions

[PDF] Hydrogenotrophic denitrification of saline aquaculture wastewater using hollow fiber membrane bioreactor[PDF] from psu.eduDD Phong - 2007 - Citeseer
... Long-term operation of closed aquarium and aquaculture systems results in nitrate accumulation
which causes toxicity problems for ... Treating this type of wastewater is a big concern not only for
the protection of the environment but also for the reduction of water use. ...
Related articles - View as HTML - All 3 versions

[PDF] Hydrogenotrophic denitrification of aquaculture wastewater using hollow fiber membrane bioreactor[PDF] from ait.ac.thNQ Hung - 2006 - faculty.ait.ac.th
... 2.9 Scheme of the hydrogenotrophic denitrification reactor used aquaculture aquarium ... The
C/N ratio required for complete nitrate reduction to nitrogen gas by denitrifying bacteria depends
on the nature of carbon source and bacterial species (Payne, 1973 cited by van Rijn et al ...
Cited by 2 - Related articles - View as HTML

Verification of a benthic boxcosm system with potential for extrapolating experimental results to the fieldFind It @ HS/HSLIM Karle, S Agrenius, S Molander… - Journal of Experimental …, 2007 - Elsevier
... with an internal water circulation setup driven by a larger aquarium pump (Fig. ... Concentrations
of ammonium, nitrate, phosphate, and silicate were determined immediately after sampling with
an ... after square root transformation of the abundance with no species reduction, as this ...
All 3 versions

[PDF] Lsi!! liKLOSALAMOS SCIENTIFIC LABORATORY[PDF] from lanl.govS Goldstein… - library.lanl.gov
... dctonatjon front (S). Ammonium nitrntr is n common con- stituent of mnny commcrclnl blnstlng
agents, and many tests hnvc hccn pcl- formed on ANI:[J and rclntcd mntcrial$. ... AQUARIUM
T1!STS ... The first wns Gulf Oil Cllomlcul (Iornpany Nltro-:)nrl\o-Nitrate (N-:).N) 100, nom]. ...
View as HTML

Last edited:
Highland---does all that research says its good? Can you bottom line it! If I read all that I still am confused? Thanks in ADVANCE!

Highland---does all that research says its good? Can you bottom line it! If I read all that I still am confused? Thanks in ADVANCE!

Little of the research is directly related to use of these biopellets in the reef aquarium. From the research specific to reef aquariums. There are several methods that the bio-pellets can be used and the results vary concerning nitate reduction:

1) Placing the biopellets in filter bags: This method works but the bags tend to clog easily and need to be cleaned at least once per week. The results are not the best using this method according to the research.

2) Placing the biopellets in a reactor: This method is what many hobbyists currently use. The problem with this method is the biopellets do not seem to provide the best surfaces for bacterial biomasses to grow on. The results using straight biopellets in a reactor are not that great according to the research and many hobbyists complain of bacterial blooms which is not good. Hobbyists complain that the nitrate rate is not reduced adequately when levels are high.

3) Placing the biopellets in a reactor with about a 50/50 mix of coarse aragonite gravel about 4 -6 cm in diameter: This method provides much better nitrate reduction then the biopellets alone in the reactor based on the total amount of biopellets used and less bacterial blooms according to research. This seems to be the best way to use the biopellets in a reactor and provides good results regarding nitrate reduction according to the research.

4) Mixing the biopellets into a coarse gravel bed at the base of the aquarium (same size as above). This method provides very good results as with the gravel mixed in the reactor. There is more surface area in a larger coarse gravel sand bed, more pellets can be added & they only need to be replaced about every 6 months. This works great for nitrate reduction, but many hobbyists would not want a coarse gravel bed in their tank, others may like its appearance. This method provides the best nitrate reduction results according to research using normal sized biopellets.

5) Powdering the biopellets and adding it directly to the aquarium water: This is the method used in the Instant Ocean biopolymer product. The research shows this works well and the amount you add on a regular basis can be controlled to prevent bacterial blooms and meet your nitrate reduction needs. This turns out to be the choice for use for marine aquariums according to the research giving excellent results.

Last edited:
Sometimes this stuff works too well and can kill of some of your LPS and Softies-

I agree. I look at the use of these biopellets like I do when using the liquid carbon sources like vinegar and vodka and that is to reduce nitrate in the reef aquarium. You can reduce nitrate too low for many coral especially some of the soft coral & LPS.

Too many hobbyists look at these biopellets as something that is going to give them more colors in their coral when they already have low nitrate levels. I would look at other means for coral coloration in this situation. Using biopellets like using liquid carbon sources when nitrate levels are already low, is tricky at best and needs to be controlled. Using biopellets in a reactor is not that controllable IMHO. Using liquid carbon sources or using a product like the IO biopolymer are more controllable for the purpose of changing coral coloration when nitrate levels are already low to start with. ;)

Last edited:
I agree. I look at the use of these biopellets like I do when using the liquid carbon sources like vinegar and vodka and that is to reduce nitrate in the reef aquarium. You can reduce nitrate too low for many coral especially some of the soft coral & LPS.

Too many hobbyists look at these biopellets as something that is going to give them more colors in their coral when they already have low nitrate levels. I would look at other means for coral coloration in this situation. Using biopellets like using liquid carbon sources when nitrate levels are already low, is tricky at best and needs to be controlled. Using biopellets in a reactor is not that controllable IMHO. Using liquid carbon sources or using a product like the IO biopolymer are more controllable for the purpose of changing coral coloration when nitrate levels are already low. ;)

I totally agree. I used NP bio pellets for a while but had bad results. I have since stopped using them and my tank has done a complete turn around. The tank is looking really good and corals are looking great and starting to grow again. Only thing I miss about the pellets is having to clean the glass more often.

Personally, I like my vinegar. I can control the dose to keep the glass cleaning to a minimum at less cost than using most other products. My coral seem to love it. :lol:

I did loose my Xenia due to reduced nitrate and phosphate levels. :(

Last edited:
Personally, I like my vinegar. I can control the dose to keep the glass cleaning to a minimum at less cost than using most other products. My coral seem to love it. :lol:

I did loose my Xenia due to reduced nitrate and phosphate levels. :(

I agree with you, I like my vinegar and vodka. I like to keep a little nitrate in the tank. Not gross amts but some. (10ppm) I used to strive to keep nitrate and po4 as close to zero as I could. I stripped all the nitrate out and the po4 was a nightmare to remove. I would have to dose gross amts of po4 removers to keep up as there was no natural removal of po4 with 0 nitrates. I would lose zoa's could NEVER keep xenia alive.
The instant ocean stuff looks very good because of no need to use a reactor, and you dose amts needed.

Thanks MUCH!!

I stripped all the nitrate out and the po4 was a nightmare to remove. I would have to dose gross amts of po4 removers to keep up as there was no natural removal of po4 with 0 nitrates.

I was keeping up until this point. Why is it more difficult to remove phosphates if there are less nitrates present?

I was keeping up until this point. Why is it more difficult to remove phosphates if there are less nitrates present?

Because bacteria use about 1 part P for each 15 parts N and then respire even more N to N2 gas as they use NO3.
If there is no nitrogen source then the heterotrophic denitrifying bacteria bacteria that consume C,N and P wane.

The pellets are biodegradable polymers( carbohydrates). They like other organic carbon sources ( monomers,, vodka, vinegar ,absorbic acid, etc.) boost bacteria that consume the carbon along with NO3 and some PO4.They bacteria in turn are exported via skimming ,gac, etc. . Some may serve as a beneficial food source, some may be benign and some may be pathogenic.Personally, I would not dose any organic carbon source unless I needed it to lower nitrates.

I prefer vodka and vinegar since ethanol and acetic acid are lower on the anaerobic digestion cascade than polymers and monomers, and thus avoid the growth of bacteria involved in the fermentation / digestion of carbohydrates. When I dosed a small amount of sugar for a week or so a couple of years ago some corals receded and some darkened, Vodka and vinegar have not caused those issues.

The biopellets do seem to work for a number of folks, but they don't work for everyone. I tried for 6 months to get the original NP Biopellet formulation to "ignite", without success. I was finally able to get my terrible hair algae problem under control by dosing vinegar. NO3 and PO4 were never detectable in my water column, which I think was why the pellets didn't work for me.

hmmm

question i always wanted to ask after reading 22 pages of the NP post is there any type of good and bad effects when using NP with UV sterilizer? does bacteria reach a topping point?

TMZ -dosing vodka and vinegar any recommend amount to dose?

plmk thx BS

I don't think anyone is very sure about using UV, but it's probably fine in combination with dosing. In most tanks, bacteria on the water surfaces likely can consume all the carbon that's needed. Bacterial growth in the water column can be a problem, but I'm not convinced it's generally much of a benefit.

I agree that bacteria in the water can cause problems and are likely of little if any benefit . I have uvs but have not used them since I started dosing 22 months ago but may try them again at some point when I get new bulbs.

BS#9427

The amounts of vodka and /or vinegar needed to keep nitrate in check varies from tank to tank as different aquariums have variable bioloads, surface areas, livestock, and so on.
FWIW I dose 26 ml of vodka and 64 ml of vinegar daily to a 550 gallon system with over 40 fish.
The proportion of ethanol to acetic acid works out to ,roughly: 3 parts ethanol to 1 part acetic acid in my case. Some use all vodka(ethanol) and some just vinegar( acetic acid).

Note: The acetic acid in the vinegar is diluted with 95% water , while the ethanol in the 80 proof vodka is diluted with 60% water. So each ml of 80 proof vidaka equals roughly 8 ml of vinegar in terms of organic carbon content.

Genetics wrote a very good article which gives good information on how to start low and amp up dosing to the amount a particular tank needs to keep nitrate in check.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

I have used the biopellets with success. I will say that you cant go by standardized dosages because the amount you will need is dependant on the nitrate levels, feeding habits, and bio load.

highlander, I just stumbled upon this thread and posted ur second post on my local MAS site.
there were a few questions that came up and thought u might know

first heres the thread, sorry if u dont like me referencing you, I'll take it down
http://reefuae.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=197&start=125
its the 6th last post on that page

and heres one of my posts why sums up a few questions
""
was thinking the same about putting the pellets in sand
the tetra nitrate reducing pearls has instructions to put it in the sandbed and forget about it
keep adding 10-20% every 6-8 months
aqua said the tetra is the same bio-pellet

all said, even with the rice experiment, there was hydrogen sulphide released when the rice for kept for a week without disturbing it and then suddenly moved, if u read the rice thread, you will see that my sump was disconnected and the rice left in the sump. the complete water turned black and I could smell sulphide
also with the rice, there was aurora who left the rice in a bag in his sump and he had similar results as mine, but less effective as the reactor

what is the theory behind coarse aragonite acting as a catalyst to the biopellets?
I can understand that if u keep it burried in the sand, u will have more anaerobic bacteria inhibiting the pellets, and if u compare this with a dsb, its practically the same thing except ur providing fuel in the form of carbon dosing within the sandbed.
traditionally the dsb was used to reduce nutrients just like we want to do with the pellets.
but using the method of burying the pellets in the sand, would it over time become a hazzard like a dsb would?

currently with the pellets I run it in a reactor and my results are starting to show.....will keep updated on this

actually I think I'll cut paste this into the RC thread so that highlandreefer and bertoni/boomer and maybe even randy might see this and respond.
""

thanks for ur time man

Your welcome. ;)

If you wish to post my responses elsewhere it is fine with me. :)

"was thinking the same about putting the pellets in sand
the tetra nitrate reducing pearls has instructions to put it in the sand bed and forget about it"

I'm not familiar with the tetra nitrate reducing pearls.

Basically the only research I have seen using the biopellets in reef aquariums comes from the patent article for the PCL product. The research in this article tested the use of PCL pellets mixed into three different types of sand beds for nitrate reducing capabilities:

1) fine sand - results were poor

2) An average reef sand mix - results were also rather poor, but a bit better than the fine sand.

3) A course gravel (4-6 cm diameter in size) - The results were good.

The author's theory on why this occurs is perhaps due to better water and oxygen penetration into the coarse gravel beds which would promote greater bacterial growth. The author of the article found that the biopellets only needed to be replaced (mixed in) about every 6 months to a year depending on nitrate production of the system.

"what is the theory behind coarse aragonite acting as a catalyst to the biopellets?"

The theory is that in reactors and in coarse gravel sand beds, the gravel allows for more places for bacteria to grow on. Increasing bacteria population sites will increase nitrate reduction capability. The author also felt that perhaps the biopellets themselves do not provide a good site for bacterial biofilms to grow on. Further scientific investigation would have to be competed to either prove or disprove these theories. ;)

Back