Bio Pellets without reactor? just a mesh bag

acorral

Hello everyone

From the NPX Bioplastics package it states the following:

"Directions: NPX Bioplastics are best installed in a fluidized filter like the PhosBan reactor 150 or 550, but they may simply be placed in a media bag in a filtration compartment."

So could I just dump a few cups of biopellets on a mesh bag inside a high flow area of my sump?

Has anyone tried this? not just with NPX bioplastics but with any brand of biopellets

Any experience or opinions regarding this method?

Thank you everyone in advance

BUMP !!!

I see many views and no replies... I guess I will be innovating on this area...

I guess the main problem with this approach is lesser flow than in a reactor... mi questions is:

What happens inside a biopellet reactor with "improper" or poor flow ???

I have read it's not good but nobody states clearly the consequences or problems this may cause... is it just a little bit of ineficiency? or could it be detrimental for the tank?

Most people run them in fluidized bed reactors but I have heard of people that put them in mesh bags in the sump. From what I understand there is no definitive science or proof that says they have to be tumbling to be effective.

Most people run them in fluidized bed reactors but I have heard of people that put them in mesh bags in the sump. From what I understand there is no definitive science or proof that says they have to be tumbling to be effective.

That's what I mean exactly, nobody has posted success nor failure in doing so... even though it's clearly stated as a possibility in the usage directions from the manufacturer I would like to know if it is safe... I know it probably would be less effective but I can live with that

I keep on finding threads and posts of people that change from one reactor to another, and expending several bucks, because of clumping but I cannot find anywhere of anybody that has suffered some kind of damage to their tank or inhabitants because of clumping...

I have mine in the sump in a mesh bag below the drain line. This kind of keeps them tumbling. No problems yet.

I am interested in results as well as I have a sump with drip trays and an Aqua C skimmer on a 150 gallon under stocked FOWLR tank. Currently running Chemipure Elite and Purigen and have contemplated adding a bag of biolpellets to one of the trays. I do 10% water change weekly and do an agitated rinse of the four Chemipure bags each week in old water before returning them to sump trays. Have yet to see an argument that a bag in a high flow area would be not work especially since I agitate them once a week. Current routine is keeping nitrates at zero, so not rushing to fix something that is not broke....

Christina from reef threads podcast said she did a test using bio pellets with and without a reactor. To her surprise the results showed the same. Bio pellets do not need to tumble in order to grow the required bacteria. Only K1 and Hel X need to tumble in order to work, but these are more FW/pond media.

So go ahead and buy bio pellets and mesh. Toss em in your filter or sump.

Reference reef thread podcast #130

aren't biopellets just a slow release elemental carbon source? if so i would be very worried about putting them loose in a mesh bag. that would allow an uncontrollable amount of elemental carbon in the water column. this could quickly bring down O2 levels from bacterial activity. just like adding to much vodka.

what is the flow through these bed filters?

G~

You do not have to use a reactor, many people used them in a mesh bag, they do not readily dissolve but rather provide a carbon source for bacteria to dine on. I used them in a high flow reactor, a low flow reactor and even just tossed in the bottom of a canister filter where they did not tumble at all, the results were the same in all cases with the exception of the high flow reactor where the pellets lost size more rapidly, probably from friction. If used in a bag, it is helpful for it to be a course bag for flow and to help shed the mulm.

The original BP thread...a good read. :)
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1694529

Back