BioCube 14 live rock

smokinsarge

I have the biocube 14 and was wondering about the amount of live rock. The plan is to set up a nano reef. I have read 1lb per gal up to 2lb per gal. I bought 20lbs of of LR in two pieces one 17lbs and the other 3lbs. I bought it off of craigs list so I did not see the pieces until I picked up the LR. I had no clue how much 20lbs was. The biggest one barely fits in the cube. I like the look of it though. I think it will look okay once I get some corals on it. I have one green chromis that was given to me and I was planning on a set of clowns. The issue that I have is the space for the fish to swim I very limited. I'll post a pick once I get a chance, but the rock goes from one side to the other and is about half way up.

Is this going to be a issue for the fish or the tank or is it just personal prefrence on having one big piece or smaller ones.

Thanks

20 lbs of live rock is more than enough...1-1.5 lbs of live rock/gallon is fine. I think with smaller tanks you are better off at the lower end to have more water volume. As far as one large piece that is completely fine and your choice entirely. Remember though that fish feel more secure if they can hide sometimes within your rock work. This is especially the case with more shy fish.
You could also always break the piece, and viola you have a bunch of little pieces.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up just putting 17lbs. I like the rock becaus it has all sorts of areas for fish to hide. I can't believe the way the rock is shaped. I think its good I was worried about the fish and their swimming habits. BTW if any one is looking for some good saltwater stuff and you are in the Joliet il area check out craigs list I met a guy today and has some very good prices. I need to read the rules to see if I can post the link. If someone is interested just do a search for "fish tank" and narrow it down to south chicago land.

I just read your thread and if I were you I would think about a bigger tank in the near future as a 14g tank will be cramped with a chromis and two clowns. If you buy the clowns sm you should be ok for awhile. GL.

I just read your thread and if I were you I would think about a bigger tank in the near future as a 14g tank will be cramped with a chromis and two clowns. If you buy the clowns sm you should be ok for awhile. GL.

Thanks for the info. This is the starter tank to see if I can handle everything that goes with a reef. If everything goes my way bigger will come.

Back