Birds of Paradise Tissue Recession at Base- Please Help

Avgou

Premium Member
Hey Everyone,

About a week ago and "popped" my Birds of Paradise (BOP) of it's plug and took a tiny bit of epoxy and plugged it onto a rock.

The area near the base where I applied pressure with my thumb was doing ok and I noticed the polyps were a bit hurt by the pressure I placed to stick it on the rock.

Today, I come home to notice this area where I applied pressure is white on the base and the polyps are pretty much gone only in the area affected by the pressure I put on it.

What should I do? I moved it to a place with a little more flow and faced the area of the recession towards the flow.

The rest of it is doing great and have tremendous polyp extension.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated? I seem to find conflicting answers when I search regarding flow and whether or not to cut or let heal.

Tank parameters are good.

Thank you,

~John Avgou

Ace1

+1 on this, i have a BOP that has gone thru the ringer since i got it but its seems to be hanging in there, No TN... I also have a ponape that has some recession from a bad NSW batch, and im hoping it can recover.

I would like to believe that your BOP will be fine as the damage is not param related, if it has good PE then i presume its eating and therefore should recover.. JMO

macreefster

you have to becareful using epoxy on frags as the heat generated by the epoxy putty will burn the new frag. i've found glueing the frag so a small piece of live rock and then epoxying that to a rock works better. i nearly killed my purple plazma epoxying it to a rock, it suffered tissue loss at the base but seems to be doing fine now.

Logzor

+1 always use superglue onto a rock as a buffer between the epoxy and the frag!!! It can just be a tiny pebble. Just dry bottom of the coral by dabbing with a cloth and so the same to the rock if it is not dry. Superglue will set in fast then do your epoxy attachment.

sps will be fine out of the water during this operation.

Avgou

Premium Member
Thanks Guys, I'm keeping close watch.

Didn't know epoxy could harm corals like that, I have only two of my frags epoxied, all others are still on the plug epoxied to the rock.

The BOP is in medium flow should I let be?

Logzor

Medium flow should be fine. Depends how you define that. Just make sure the polyp extension is decent. If the polyps are closed then there is a problem!

I am testing mine in high flow currently.

Avgou

Premium Member
Logzor, I have a constellation light system too! Have had it for about 2 weeks now.

Now if I can keep things from dying, I pretty sure this is a result of me applying pressure to the coral, now I know to use super glue gel, you wouldn't believe how much of it was in the ORA plug when it popped off, they go crazy with it for good measure.