BK double cone 200 with RD3 or BK mini 200

abhishek@1985

Hi slief ,

Setting up a new 170 gallon system and looking at either used double cone 200 with RD3 or mini 200( doesn't come with the RD3 pump ) . Both are used .

With the bioload that may be medium by royal exclusive standard in future which one will you suggest ? I might add another 70 gallon to the system but it's not decided yet provided space is available .

What's your thought ? I currently run a DC 150 for my 90 gallon system .

Regards,
Abhishek

I’d go with the Double Cone 200. Both the Mini 200 and Double Cone 200 have about the same tank size ratings and having the pump outside the body will make the double cone easier to maintain when it comes to routine pump maintenance. That said, if you want to save sump space, the Mini is a killer skimmer even with the original Red Dragon which is arguably one of the best AC skimmer pumps ever made.

Honestly I love the concept of having the pump outside . But silo space is precious for me .
If I wanted a replacement part or change the ac pump on the BK mini 200, will it be possible ?

Regards,
Abhishek

Honestly I love the concept of having the pump outside . But silo space is precious for me .
If I wanted a replacement part or change the ac pump on the BK mini 200, will it be possible ?

Regards,
Abhishek

It depends on how old the skimmer is as to whether you can swap the pump for an RD3 but frankly, I'd just stick with the original pump. There is NOTHING wrong with those Red Dragons. With routine maintance, they will last 10 years or more and the replacement parts are still available and will be for the foreseeable future. Like I said before, that Red Dragon 1 is and always will be a great pump too.

It depends on how old the skimmer is as to whether you can swap the pump for an RD3 but frankly, I'd just stick with the original pump. There is NOTHING wrong with those Red Dragons. With routine maintance, they will last 10 years or more and the replacement parts are still available and will be for the foreseeable future. Like I said before, that Red Dragon 1 is and always will be a great pump too.

Thanks slief ! Yeah I have heard that the pump is legendary . Here's a pic of the skimmer . Do you think the pump can be replaced with a RD3 ?

Regards,
Abhishek

Attachments

• 7A3438B6-C143-489D-93EC-ECD0286AECA9.jpg
    7A3438B6-C143-489D-93EC-ECD0286AECA9.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks slief ! Yeah I have heard that the pump is legendary . Here’s a pic of the skimmer . Do you think the pump can be replaced with a RD3 ?

Regards,
Abhishek

I do think that model can be swapped for the RD3 but the cost is prohibitive at $665 for the RD3 plus the PVC base. You’d be better off selling that skimmer and buying a new Mini 200 with the RD3. Those skimmers hold their value really well and it would likely be a wash after selling that one. Plus, the RD1 motors are inexpensive enough that even if the motor failed down the line, you could get a new motor for much less than a complete RD3 with the new PVC base. Like I said, I would run that skimmer the way it is. That skimmer will perform great as it sits now and you would spending money on a new pump for no good reason.

Back