Black Axil Chromis: Less likely to kill each other off? Hardier than C. Viridis?

Zionas

I am wondering if the Black Axils are less likely to kill each other off than C. Viridis? Do you find them a lot more rare than C. Viridis? Are they hardier too?

Thanks.

They have always looked healthier and are huge compared to viridis. I used to see them all the time for sale at stores in the 3-4" size with nice thick round bodies.

I remember a 300g tank at a LFS that had about 6-8 together for years and they were very aggressive in competing for food in a fish heavy Sps tank.

I would look to buy these in at least 2.5-3" size range.

Your tank’s about the same size as the tank I’ll be going for. Do they kill each other off like their cousins? Or would you say that even keeping a single one is worth it? Do they have much better colors?

Zionas, I support and admire your research. I replied to one of your posts months ago, only to see my suggestions become useless, because of your constantly changing, proposed tank size. It's frustrating for me, and I imagine others too.

I see now you still haven't bought a tank. I will wait until you've actually committed to this hobby, before I spend any more time discussing fish for a tank that doesn't exist.

Your tank's about the same size as the tank I'll be going for. Do they kill each other off like their cousins? Or would you say that even keeping a single one is worth it? Do they have much better colors?

Their colors are more vibrant and more blue than green. I haven't owned them but as I mentioned for years the same group was in a LFS tank. They also sold them in their fish section on a regular basis and they were always 3-4" in size. I never saw small ones for sale.

I don't know about aggression within a group but due to size I wouldn't put them in anything less than 90-100g.

Most of the other local stores at the time sold the tiny viridis which would die off fast and not from aggression.

I also think a lot has to do with capture and what these fish go through to get in a retail vendors tank.

I see. This is very useful info. There’s no way to tell I guess until they reach a certain size which species they are, but I don’t want to end up with a C. Viridis nor do I want to buy a bigger fish that god knows how old it is.

Their colors are more vibrant and more blue than green. I haven't owned them but as I mentioned for years the same group was in a LFS tank. They also sold them in their fish section on a regular basis and they were always 3-4" in size. I never saw small ones for sale.

I don't know about aggression within a group but due to size I wouldn't put them in anything less than 90-100g.

Most of the other local stores at the time sold the tiny viridis which would die off fast and not from aggression.

I also think a lot has to do with capture and what these fish go through to get in a retail vendors tank.

So would you say even keeping one is worth it?

Yes, but I would probably get at least two.

It would be good to have other dither fish, anthias, wrasses, ect. if you're only getting one.

I doubt it, in a big tank I don't think it's an issue.

There are plenty of large tanks with multiple blue-green chromis.

There are also other species of chromis that are just as nice and active. Black and white versions--dimidata,margaritifer. Vanderbuilt, Barrier reef chromis are are hardy as well.

Just make sure you get healthy specimens from reliable sources.

Back