Black banded cat shark

Trickstur

I have had a 55gal reef tank for about a year now and have always been interested in making a larger aggressive tank so for the past few weeks I have built a 180 gallon setup and just wanted some tips on keeping a black banded cat shark. I would appreciate anything as I am new to this type of tank. Thanks

Well, as you already probably know, you won't be able to keep a Brownbanded Bamboo Shark (same as Blackbanded Catshark) in that tank for its entire life. You'll end up needing a tank in the 480-500g range once it gets to adulthood (36"+).

Filtration: you'll need a very good skimmer, rated for about twice the tank's size, so in this case, a skimmer rated for about 350-400g. You really wouldn't need many powerheads, maybe three at the most.

Lighting: Doesn't matter, really.

Aquascaping: you'd want to leave as much open swimming space as possible with one or two caves for the shark to hide in during the day. And be sure to have very fine grained sand. Coarse sand such as crushed coral has been known to irritate and scratch the underside of sharks and rays, which can lead to harsh bacterial infections.

Anything else you need to know, feel free to ask!

Thanks for the hints. I think my skimmer should work...its rated for 250-350 and got the fine sand. Was just curious about how much live rock do u thin I should have in the tank seeing as how he will need plently of swimming room?

again thanks one last question lol. How do u frefer to feed your shark, feeding stick or what? Thanks again!

I use both. More preferably hand-feeding, just so I can interact with her during feeding time. But, when I'm feeling lazy, I'll use a feeding stick! :lol:

Back