Black cap Basslet question

nstiesi

Who has one? I just bought one wednesday night. Great looking fish, but I have barely seen it since realeasing it in my tank. I know that Grammas/Basslets like their caves, and I know that all fish are individuals, but my old Royal Gramma still swam in the open.

I also know that it could still be adjusting to its new surroundings? Any chance I will ever see my $30.00 fish? I feel like I wasted my money......

Thanks!

they are very shy at first but will swim all over the place once it establishes itself, i had a yellow corris wrasse that i put in and didnt see him for 3 weeks then 1 day he just popped out and swims all over the place now just be patient with it.

i had one. very shy fish at first, but after a few weeks i started seeing him more. usually spitting out a mouthful of sand.

awesome news! I have no problem waiting for him to adjust, as long as it actually happens, lol. You have both made me feel better.

I had one, same thing. Hid for a couple of weeks, but once acclimated would swim around....but never too far from his favorite cave. I lost it in a velvet outbreak....I was really bummed about that loss.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15488203#post15488203 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BrassMonkey
i had one. very shy fish at first, but after a few weeks i started seeing him more. usually spitting out a mouthful of sand.

1+.

had one for over a year before an ich outbreak got the best of him. they tend to get agressive so be careful.

Re: Black cap Basslet question

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15488164#post15488164 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nstiesi
Who has one? I just bought one wednesday night. Great looking fish, but I have barely seen it since realeasing it in my tank. I know that Grammas/Basslets like their caves, and I know that all fish are individuals, but my old Royal Gramma still swam in the open.

I also know that it could still be adjusting to its new surroundings? Any chance I will ever see my $30.00 fish? I feel like I wasted my money......

Thanks!

He will adjust, how would you like to be me I just recently added a $100+ blueface angel and he hardly came into view for the first two weeks. All I could see was him hiding in the cave of rocks and eating as it swirled past. I did expect it though because he has a lot of tank mates to get used to and hes not the top dog like he was in the 20gal they had him in. He is out more and more each day, some fish are just very slow to adjust. Give us an update.

yeah, that is alot of money for a fish you never see, but I'm glad to know he is adjusting, and it seems my black cap will, too. Thanks for putting my mind at ease a little bit. I will certainly update the next time I actually see him.

Since I didn't work today, I got to see the tank with the light off, and he came out a bit; I threw some food in the tank to made sure he ate, which he did. Just needs to get more comfy with the lights on.

Back