Black PVC Pipe / Black ABS Bulkhead questions

speakerguy

Premium Member
Hi,

I will be installing some black ABS bulkheads in my tank this week, the standard ones that pretty much everyone uses. I also will be gluing some black PVC pipe together with black PVC fittings, as well as to the black ABS bulkheads. All materials (bulkheads, pipe, fittings) were purchased online from Savko.

1) Joining the ABS bulkhead to the black PVC - I'm pretty sure I should use Oatey Combination cement for this instead of just regular PVC glue. Do I need to apply primer to both the ABS bulkhead and the black PVC, or just to the PVC?

2) Is the black PVC pipe and fittings sold by Savko actually PVC? I just want to make sure it'll work with PVC glue properly. Should I use regular PVC glue on this or the combination stuff?

I usually use threaded stuff but need slip and glue on this project.
Thanks for any help.

You don't need to use a combination cement for any of it, but won't hurt either. In fact, the ingredients are nearly identical, just the ratios are different and the combination stuff uses an ABS monomer rather than PVC monomer but makes no difference at all IME.

I don't know what fittings Savko sells so can't say definitively, but if they're made by Spears, then yep - should be Sch 40 PVC. Spears is the only company I know of the regularly makes black PVC and will say "Spears Sch 40" on each fitting.

HTH,
James

Hi guys! Thanks for the fast repies.

Acrylics,

I looked at some of the black threaded fittings I have gotten from Savko in the past and sure enough they say Spears SCH 40 if you look close! I also have some that say Dura PVC SCH 40 if you look close, so I guess http://www.duraplastics.com/ makes it too. I didn't even notice the teeny lettering on the edge of the fittings until you mentioned that they would be marked. So the fittings are definitely PVC and I imagine the black pipe is true PVC as well.

Thanks again, you helped me get those questions answered fast!

ETA: Any idea on using the primer on the ABS bulkhead? Thanks again.

IMO no primer needed. I've never needed it as no joints have ever failed me, and I've never used primer. It is a code thing and that's about it. Primer is a weakened PVC cement without the monomers added. The intention is to help clean the pipe of debris and *perhaps* to slightly soften the plastic prior to gluing, but this only works if you prime only seconds prior to gluing, IMO not necessary, esp at the pressures we are using (5-8psi) Clean the pipe and fittings well before gluing and I sincerely doubt you'll have any issues, but if using the primer helps you sleep at night - good enough reason as any to use it :)

James

Back