can you pls let me know why my foxface have black spots,,
photo2_zpsf5b459f2.jpg

photo1_zps4504b057.jpg

it has pots like that on both sides

thanks in advance

HumbleFish

Dr. Fish
Premium Member
That's normal for them. I don't know why exactly - except perhaps it's part of their changing coloration thing.

Rea17

I don't think spots quite like that are normal... Looks like black ich. You can treat it with PraziPro in the DT. Up the feedings too, this guy looks very very thin...

HumbleFish

Dr. Fish
Premium Member
Ya'll might be right about it being black ich. But my Foxface Lo gets spots like that from time to time, so it's hard to tell with them.

vibe7

thanks,, i have move my foxface and half back angelfish perlscale move to a sperate tank with salinity level of 1.009. also installed another protein skimmer for them.

chromis, two clowns cardinal left in the display tank because i didnt see any spots on them. also i have prone and disc like start fish as well in the main tank.

I live in Australia and i could not find any one selling Prazipro other than ebay, person from usa.

Last edited:

HumbleFish

Dr. Fish
Premium Member
thanks,, i have move my foxface and half back angelfish perlscale move to a sperate tank with salinity level of 1.009. also installed another protein skimmer for them.

chromis, two clowns cardinal left in the display tank because i didnt see any spots on them. also i have prone and disc like start fish as well in the main tank.

I live in Australia and i could not find any one selling Prazipro other than ebay, person from usa.

If the foxface has black ich, treating with hypo won't do anything. Treating black ich is radically different than treating "white ich".

Do you have access to any Formaldehyde based medication? Dipping with 37% Formaldehyde should probably kill black ich as well. Doing a f/w dip *might* provide some temporary relief...

Deinonych

Your LFS should have some sort of praziquantel-based medication on hand. PraziPro is just the branded name for praziquantel. You can treat with prazi in your DT - it's one of the few "reef safe" meds out there.

However, you may be wise treating for cryptocaryon (marine ich). From the photos above, it looks like the fish has some white spots on his head as well as his dorsal and anal fins. The black spots may be scars from previous infection sites. I remember my foxface getting a few black dots like that every now and then. I thought they might be coral stings, but it turned out to be crypto in the end.

vibe7

Your LFS should have some sort of praziquantel-based medication on hand. PraziPro is just the branded name for praziquantel. You can treat with prazi in your DT - it's one of the few "reef safe" meds out there.

However, you may be wise treating for cryptocaryon (marine ich). From the photos above, it looks like the fish has some white spots on his head as well as his dorsal and anal fins. The black spots may be scars from previous infection sites. I remember my foxface getting a few black dots like that every now and then. I thought they might be coral stings, but it turned out to be crypto in the end.

whats crypto means ,, not much familler with all these short names

vibe7

hi.. i moved all the fish to quarantine tank.. now 2 days,, they are not eating their normal diet ie forzen shrimps,,, any other suggested diets..
Salinity level is 1.009