blastos becoming more rare?

cw150

I was talking to my LFS owner today and he told me that his wholesalers are having more trouble locating blastos in the wild and there's talk they may stop collection soon. Has anyone else heard this?

IMO your LFS is kicking that crap to you because they cant get them for a price that will give them the ridiculously high profit margin most LFS strive for. You can get them at most any online vendor and most LFS's in my area. Just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't be surprised if lfs tries to sell you aiptasia and majanos and say that they are rare as well. :lol:

Don't know if they are rare yet or not but sure glad I was able to pick this one up. Probably one of my nicest corals and puts just about everything else I have to shame...

LemondaeBlasto.jpg

That is nice! I agree with Serious about the margin issue. He acknowledged to me that he pays about $5 a polyp for blastos and he winds up making 50%-100% profits on them where SPS and zoos are 150%. So there is that. On the other hand, his suppliers might be justified in charging more as I've read that
Bourneman has stated several times that blastos are becoming more difficult to find in the wild.

they are less common than some other corals, but i think what limits their collection is the means required to collect; i.e. a chisel and hammer.

The volume coming in is smaller than what was coming in this summer. It could be a seasonal item, and it could be due to the fact that the LFS have been selling less due to the recent "All my blastos are dying" phenomenon.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9070620#post9070620 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tacocat
The volume coming in is smaller than what was coming in this summer. It could be a seasonal item, and it could be due to the fact that the LFS have been selling less due to the recent "All my blastos are dying" phenomenon.

I know that slowed my purchasing power!;)

-Justin

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9070620#post9070620 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tacocat

The quotas aren't all that huge to begin with. IF a couple certain wholesalers didn't bring them in FAR above CITE quota limits, you'd all wonder why there was so few to buy ;) Since one of those said wholesalers is currently on trial, his 400+ per shipment are not being added to the collective pool ;)

FWIW, there is talk amongst CITES members to further reduce the number allowed collected per year. It will happen, it's just a question of when.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9072190#post9072190 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreshamH
Since one of those said wholesalers is currently on trial, his 400+ per shipment are not being added to the collective pool ;)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Back